What's it worth?

Have a guy tring to sell me a 10hp Johnson outboard as a kicker for 22ft Islander.. Forward and reverse both work, pull start, water pump seems to be working ok, not sure of the year. I am guessing mid 60's but not sure. He wants $150.00 for it, is it worth it.

Another ? can anyone tell me how far down on the transome I need to mount the kicker mount. It's an OMC with the assist on it. The boat is a 1979 22ft Starcraft Islander, if I remember right the water comes allmost to the top of the outdrive but not sure. Thanks

You can't go too far wrong for $150 if it runs and the seals are good. What you will need is a long shaft model kicker motor. The long shafts are about 20 inches. The shortys are 15 inches. If it's a shorty it will not work well as a kicker on your boat.:) I hope this helps.

I use a 15" 20 hp Johnson on my boat attatched to a kicker bracket but as priority one suggested the 20" works better. Waves were washing over the engine in rough water I added an extension to my lower so I don't have to drop the kicker down so low and it works great.

As far as how deep you need it to be just enough depth to get below the hull is optimum any higher and using reverse won't work but it doesn't really have to be that deep for forward.