Walleye and Brown Trout in Saugatuck

Once again we have had high winds and rough water on the big lake, however if you can get out the fishing is fairly good. Fishing in 12 to 18 foot of water is producing some very good brown trout with an occasional steelhead, chinook salmon and lake trout. The best method are small stingers (blue/green dolphin and fruit cocktail) pulled 30 to 100 foot behind the downrigger. Two color lead core and flat-lines with stick baits (gold and red in color) producing some steelhead and small salmon.

People are catching walleye in the Kalamazoo river between the bridges and north of the Blue Star bridge. Steelhead fishing in the river was reported as slow.

For information or charter reservations, email me at [email protected].

Good luck fishing Saugy. Launch down town is closed and Saturday morning had a front end loader parked across it.

Repeated calls and e-mails to the city have gone unanswered trying to figure out how long it'll be until it's open.

So, instead of spending money Saturday in Saugy, we slid up to Holland and fished there. Better than the 45 minutes ride out from Schultz Park.

Thanks for the report Westrate. kevin I am surprised you do not just run from holland down to saugutuck.I do it all the time in my 16ft.It only takes 15 to 20 min.Just watch the weather closely.Hopefully i can finally make it out this weekend.now that my truck is out of the shop.

I was in my 14' Saturday that tops out at 11mph with a second crew member. In the Four Winns I've made it pier head to pier head in under 9 minutes :thumb: since someone else was buying gas that day.

Even with the long ride out from where I live I can have lines in at Saugy a lot faster than out of Holland.