Radio etiquette

So what is the proper way to call out over the radio for a radio check and for information in general.

Last week I was out and a guy calls out "something, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah--- looking for a fishing report".

He had a very official sounding introduction and again when we got done talking, another very official sounding sign off.

I never really thought about it until it happened, so I just sat there and looked at my brother, shook my head quizzically and said " O.K., you're welcome, have a nice day." :lol:

Do you say "Breaker 68, Breaker 68, looking for a radio check" ? And then when you are done is there some sort of official sign off?

Also, is there an "Official secret handshake" I should know about?:D I am laughing at myself right now, because that other guy must have been thinking to himself "What a NOOB". My brother was laughing his arse off, and said' while trying to catch his breath " Wow man, you sounded like a real dumb-a$$"

USMCPAUL USMCPAUL this is Priority1 over. A lot of people call out randomly for radio checks etc, but it's not quite proper to do so. To take it to the next level you can include your call letters but seldom does any one do that. over This is Priority1 out.

Jim (Maniac1) is a HAM Bone with CG experience. I'm sure he has some input.

Lots of gray areas here due to lack of enforcement. Legally no Swearing, Identify yourself at the start of a transmission, End of a transmission and at least 1 time every 10 min during a transmission. On a Marine radio you identify yourself by vessel name for normal chat and vessel name, discription and location for emergency or priorty calls. If you were to have a emergency the proper call would be for my boat. MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY THIS 1 MAINIAC 1MAINIAC 1MAINIAC WE ARE A 26FT FOUR WINNS BLUE WITH WHITE TOP LOCATED NW OF MUSKEGON IN 120FT OF WATER WE ARE SINKING AND NEED ASSISTANCE MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY pause and wait for a response at least 10 to 15 seconds and repeat. That call would be made on ch16. The funny thing is in a emergency there is a protocall but no rules you can use any means to summon help this is how people get away with having huge amplifiers on CB as they simply say it is for emergencies only and then they have to be caught useing it illegally to bust them.

This may help as well however even if you learn all the rules you will seldom run into anyone who uses them LOL. http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/boater.htm

• 2 weeks later...
I got my HAM Radio license last month so the stuff is somewhat fresh in my mind and Jim (1 MAINIAC) is correct in his post.

Got mine a while back congrats on getting your ticket. I kept on taking test till I got my extra Got my General in Sept 04 and made Extra in feb of 05 keep going while all the rules are fresh in your head. I had to retake code twice to pass it the night I passed I took the extra for the heck of it and missed by 2 questions of getting it which would have taken me from tech to Extra in one test session. SInce I was that close I went back to the studying till I passed it.

• 4 months later...

its common curtisey to call whom ever and move to a different channel such as 22 , do your conversing there. as not to impede necessary broadcasts. 16 and 9 are emergency channels, can't tell you what each one is for, but most have a designation.

PAN PAN PAN = it's an URGENT distress call.. but not an EMERGENCY

PAN-PAN (pronounced PON-PON) URGENCY call on Channel 16.

Start the call by repeating PAN-PAN three times. Once you have made contact,

communicate your boat name, position (latitude and longitude, or distance from

known geographical point), and type of assistance required or problem. Identify a

listening frequency and monitor that channel. Cancel PAN-PAN when urgency has

been resolved.