Drummond Island

Jose

So we'll be headed up to Drummond the last week in April for our annual perch slaying trip and wondering if there are any big lake fish to be had at that time anywhere around the island? We bring the boat up there every year but hardly ever use it because the perch are right at the dock, and it would be a nice change of pace for one day. Thanks!

Atlantics!:D I have not been able to fish for them up there at that time of year but have seen several hitting the top of the water in August. I hear spring is the time for them. Try fishing in the passage and on out by the lighthouse or by the big reef there. I would stay higher in the water column and use stick baits like rapalas or chrome and blue spoons or something along those lines. Hope this helps a little bit and good luck! Let us know how you do!

April could be a bit early for the Atlantics, BUT the way this year is shaping up you never know. The ice is already gone. I'm on my way out of the house this morning Jose so I don't have the time to answer anymor questions right now, I'll post most later this afternoon.. John

Like I said above it could be a bit early but well worth a shot if you get the chance. It's more or less a midday fish that time of the yearI wouldn't start much earlier than say 8am, some of our best catches that early have come between 11am and 1 or 2 pm. Everything will be in the top 30 feet of water, Atlantic's, Kings, and Lakers, and a few Steelhead. most everything will catch fish thru out the day, Riggers, with a free slider added to the main line, dipsies, Boards with spoons and body baits off 1-2-or 3 colors leadcore, rotator and flies also will produce on some days. Spoon Color and sizemags ad reg size work: Monkey Pukes-Walmart (with the dots)-Blue and green dolphins-kavorkeans- Frogs-Sister Sledge. For body baits think smelt, blue backs, silver sides, yellow bellys- Wonder bread colors, Black back Gold sides and bellys. Flies: Bloody nose, What I call our money fly, green grinkle with a hint of Miage under the green, Flashers Greens and whites.

Fish the edges of the shipping channel both green and red sides between Detour and Drummond, If your going to come out of Whitney Bay fish those red cans and there are a few humps there also. Fish the shelf that the lighthouse set on.

We do better fishing dirty water look for it it move from day to day. Best thing I can tell you to do is pick up a chart of the area, fish the structure. If I can help you anymore drop me a pm .. John :thumb:

We usually are up there the time of the Salmonfest and I would highly recomend trying it one year! This past year we got fourth and purples like kevorkian and blueberry muffin were hot! If the salmon fishing is slow go toss some tubes around one of the many many rocky islands for smallies or head out by pecks island Scotts bay area for the walleye. One year we slammed the walleye in 4 fow drifting orange crawler harnesses through the weeds. Drummond is probabally one of my favorite places to be