ANOTHER Leadcore Question

Well it's yet another leadcore question for the forum.

I just bought 100 yards of leadcore and am planning on running a 7 color and a 3 color off a planer mast. My question is in regards to the 3 color. When I put the 3 color off the board do I set the release right when the backing starts? Or should I have 100' or whatever of backing out before I set the release?

I and everyone I know attaches the planer board at or less than 10' from the end of the leadcore. Your trying to target depth and avoid tangles. Whatever you do, do the same on all. Keep it close in MHO, the tail end is what matters most.

I attach the planer right at the splice of the lead and the backer, anymore and you start to have tangle problems and I believe that the unweighted backer will belly and cause some issues. That is just my opinion.

Mike(Supertramp)

So Haven Mi

Boat name MC2

I run a 30-40' section of mono inbetween my core and power pro backer for attaching to the board. Its easy on the releases and grips well. Also gives me 30-40' of mono to experiment with to fine tune the depth. Might clip on just after the core or anywhere along the mono. I always keep track of where i clip on it for repeatablitliy.

If you hook the release right behind the leadcore you are losing 1 color of leadcore right off the bat. You have to put ALL the lead in the water to acheive the proper depth for that legnth. If you hook a 3 color core to a release or board right behind the lead, you just turned it from a 3 color to a 2 color.

How you figure by hooking a release right behind the lead avoids tangles, but letting out the proper 30-50 feet after the lead will cause tangles is beyond me? How does this affect getting tangles?

You should always have at least 20-30 feet or more of backer out before you clip it to a release/board, unless you intentionally want to have the core run shallower. :thumb:

If you hook the release right behind the leadcore you are losing 1 color of leadcore right off the bat. You have to put ALL the lead in the water to acheive the proper depth for that legnth. If you hook a 3 color core to a release or board right behind the lead, you just turned it from a 3 color to a 2 color.

How you figure by hooking a release right behind the lead avoids tangles, but letting out the proper 30-50 feet after the lead will cause tangles is beyond me? How does this affect getting tangles?

You should always have at least 20-30 feet or more of backer out before you clip it to a release/board, unless you intentionally want to have the core run shallower. :thumb:

I agree....Is that laker in your avatar from "The Rock"? Awesome fish, i gotta make it up there sometime.

I meant to give the reasons for my set up mostly so the lengths stay equal I do not run line counters on my lead core and copper setups. the old 10 pulls then attach the board is my standard set then be sure my deepest sets are closest in and the shallower presentations are furthest out giving a V shape to the set. This allows you to reset without having to pull all of your lines on any side of the boat. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Mike (Supertramp)

1 Thing I noticed is nearly everyone gave him advise based on inline boards when he said he has a mast. Daybreak is right you have to get all the core working in the water on a mast planer board setup that might mean 50ft or more from the core to the clip. No difference than if you just set the rod in a holder you often have quite a bit of line between the rod tip and the water. With a mast board setup the clip attachment point on the tether line can be anywhere from 2ft to 8 or 10 ft above the water so you need enough line to get the entire core in the water and working.