Ever Try to Remove Paint from a Boat?

I traded my snowmobile for a 12' aluminum boat and trailer. The boat has a couple layers of paint on it so I put a wire wheel on my angle grinder to take it off. I have about 1/3 of it off but I've already burned up the motor in my cheap angle grinder. I went to Home Depot and bought another one with a lifetime warranty but I was wondering if there is a better way. I don't have access to a sandblaster. I'm pretty sure it'll take me 2-3 more grinders at this pace.

Nick its called paint stripper nasty messy stuff but will leave you with clean metal. Put a tarp under it to collect the mess. Paint it on in sections work slow it likes warm weather last one I did I painted it on and let it sit till nearly dry then took a putty knife and the paint came off in sheets.

I really don't want to get into the chemical mess. I think I'll just keep burning up grinders. It does a real good job, just hard on the grinders. The guy at Home Depot said they'd exchange them no questions asked.

I agree with Maniac, however, not all paint stripper is created equal. There are strippers out there that are for certain paints and will not touch other paints. Buy small quantity's of strippers until you find the right one. For example Lacquer stripper will not touch Epoxy Polymide paint, and vice-versa.

I painted a car one time and had to buy two different strippers because the first one stripped off the 1st layer but would not touch the 2'nd layer. Maybe I ran into some weird situation, but I have been told this by others.

You type faster than me so ....no chemicals... I have been using a Flap Disc called Jumbo Zirc made by Garryson for my angle grinder, and they work freak'n great. They last forever and I get them at my local welding shop for about 5-7 bucks each.

Ok no chemicals then use heat a good heat gun and a putty knife will remove the bulk of the paint use the wire brush to get areas that don't scrape clean easy. Paul is also correct about getting the right Stripper She is about 5' 6" LOL. Or was that what caused my second divorce memory is kinda fuzzy from back then LOL.

I'm not going to go out and buy a heat gun. I already have almost half the outside done. Not to worried about the inside. Haven't decided if I want to repaint the outside or not. Probably just leave it. I wanted to strip the outside so it would be easier to check for any cracks or other needed repairs. Probably put in some wood floors and carpet to make it a little more quiet. I'm trying to keep the cost down, I stick enough money into the big boat. I plan on mounting lights on it, I already have everything I need for that. Stick a little 4-5 horse on the back. Maybe a trolling motor. Couple of rod holders and I'll be all set. I plan on using it in rivers and some inland lakes. Maybe go up to Higgins and troll for bows and trout after ice out. Might try to do a little panfishing. Should be fun. And if I don't use it I'll trade it for another toy:D

Once I finish off the second grinder I'll run up to HD and pick up another. The aluminum is so soft that there is a lot of resistance from the wire brushes catching. Must be hard on the motors. I've done some work on sheet metal before but it is a lot different with aluminum. Oh well, it comes off nice.

If you don't want chemicals,I would suggest an orbital air sander with wet sandpaper.

As you sand, apply a small stream of water to lubricate the paper and rinse clean. Knocks down all the dust too.

I tried a sander but there are too many curves and rivets. Hardly any areas that it worked. That's why I went to the wire wheel. I think my biggest problem is that they don't make a fine mesh wheel the correct size to fit on the grinder. All I could get was medium or coarse so I have been using a medium.

Well, if you're stuck with that then take a large slot screw driver or pry bar and try and spread the wires apart a little bit. When you do this, the wheel won't be so stiff.

Keep the rpm high so the motor stays cool. Higher rpm should strip more paint also.

HIH

Go to Sherwin Williams and pick up a gallon of environmentaly friendly paint stripper. You put it on thick and let it set a day or two then scrape, or use a commercial power washer like I did. It may take a couple of applications, but it works well.

• 1 month later...