Best VHF antenna?

pikeman8

About a year ago I purchased a bigger boat and am trying to get it setup for going farther out on the Great Lakes. I had a 16.5 footer before and stayed close to the pier heads but have got fed up with the crowds and got a bigger boat to get out away from the crowds. I have been out a few times in it with just my handheld VHF but I am wanting to get a more powerful setup. I have purchased an ICOM-304 VHF radio and am looking at getting a good antenna for it. I need one that will fold down for trailering but also one I can get good range from. What is everybody's advise? Is one antenna really better than the other.

I have a shakespear, not shure of model but it ran around $70 and a solara radio . I fish out of ludington and I can on occasions overhear conversations as far south as holland and as far north as traverscity if im out a few miles! More than ill ever need but good to know in case we ever need help,my girlfriend and i fought over how much i spent on radio setup total about $150 but it will be worth every penny if we are in need of help 3-5 miles out in lake michigan! Get the best you can afford. And if antenna has metal at ferul it will only work with metal mount, ckeeck b4 you buy a plastic mount the threads are different, i found out .

Well the ground path is actually more important than the antenna they are all pretty much the same though I have heard the Digital VW520 is one of the best it gets great reviews. I have a Shakespear I have had many people comment on how well my radio works I am not impressed yet however I am a Ham radio nut so I tend to get overdone about things LOL. Simply put the antenna bounces the signal off the ground (water) so 2 things come into play first the size of the Ground field you can light up and second the height of the antenna. VHF frequencies will pass thru the atmosphere so a low antenna with a small ground field will send most of its RF up thru the clouds into space. Think of it like a bank shot in pool only you are shooting several balls at differant angles all at once. The better ground you have the larger reflective area your antenna has. The higher the antenna is the further away from the boat the signal bounces off the ground (water) all of this creates a elevation angle of the antenna system the lower the elevation angle the further you can hear and be heard before your signal passes overhead and into space. If the antenna is correctly rated a 5 watt radio with a 9db gain antenna will be as strong or stronger than a 25w radio thru a 3db gain antenna if every thing else is equal.

I was wrong, this is the antenna I have. I have also recommended it to a few other guys and they like it too. It works very well and is affordable. Last year I was fishing out of Muskegon and talking to Oakley out of Pt. Sheldon. And I have been able to hear people out of Holland.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/223411/377%20710%201407%204294965314%201823/1822/Antennas,%20Mounts,%20Cable/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201407%204294965314%201823&Ne=1822&Ntt=Antennas,%20Mounts,%20Cable&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5003&subdeptNum=3&classNum=309

We have a Shakespeare on ours as well. I cant recall the model, but it was pushing on $200. When it comes to antennas done skimp, cause you will get the performance that you pay for. Ours works fantastic. I can fish up in Augres and hear guys on the south end of the bay.