check out what i have and how to set it up

so i have a whole lot of poles that are all set up have line counters and everything, i do have a few with no line should i go out and set these up with colored lead core line or is that going to be too advanced for a beginner?

so here is what i have is this stuff any good?

4208332599_35a4f11035.jpg

4208332713_57e6538276.jpg

4208332245_0fcbb03168.jpg

4208333237_32c308c87a.jpg

4209098200_c3cbda81f2.jpg

4208333349_43d62fb890.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13359133@N05/4209098096/

Edited by GLF
fixed images

Hey Tim,

As I typing this I see Mike (GLF) is also looking at this so I may repeat some of his comments. The "stuff" you have is a great place to start. You will find things that you like or dislike as you get out on the water and actually use it. I currently use the Magda Pros, Cabelas and Convectors and haven't had any issues with them. A couple suggestions: If you haven't used these reels before, go over them to make sure everything is working the way it is suppose to. Check the drags, they should be smooth as the line is being pulled, not jerky. If line is on there from the previous owner, change it so you know exactly what is on there and how long it been there. As for the reels with no line, some look like Penn 209's. They will easily hold your leadcore but the gear ratio is a little low, 2.9:1 I think, and they will take some time to bring in the line/fish. Good solid reel just slow. That may be an upgrade you make over time. You can run lead your first time out, it is pretty simple to use, but remember not to turn to sharp or you will have a huge mess. Make sure you spool a couple hundred feet of backing,or whatever fits, on the reel before you tie the core on, and I would recommend flourocarbon for the leader. There is some ready rigged core you can buy if you don't want to mess with all the knots. Don't use cheap snap swivels either, use a ball bearing swivel, it will save you some twisting headaches down the road, speaking from experience on that one. If I remember correctly, you said you got a bunch of rods with the boat. I would setup a couple different lengths of core for different rods. Something like a full core (10 colors,100yds), half core(5 colors), 7 color, and a 2 or 3 color. To be able to run these you might want to pick up a set of planner boards to pull the line away from the boat. Lots of choices there, I used the Church Walleye board and a lot of guys use the Off Shore boards.

It looks like you have enough to get started. I know, at some point, you will need/want to upgrade the gear, but if money is tight it can wait awhile.

I hope this has helped. Good Luck this year!

Bob

all the stuff i have is basically new exept the older penn reals and yellow color rods, i actually pulled the plastic wrapper off the grips on a lot of the rods. I have like 2 or 3 sets of plainer boards and like 10 dipsy divers,

So I'm clear do they sell pre rolled lead core line i can just wind up on a few of these reals. Set one rod up with 100yards, one with 50yards and im set? where should i buy this lead core line?

In the deal with getting all this i have 2 huge rolls of mono line is there a shelf life on new line?

They do sell leadcore ready to go, I want to say it is like 25 bucks, it's been a long time since I've bought it that way. And once you learn how to tie the willis knot I bet you will go that way. It's a simple knot that you likely will want when you start putting out 2,3,4,5 all the way up to 15 colors on your reels. Like mentioned above you will find thinks that you both like and dislike in your setup and can adjust accordingly. good luck

Pre rigged core usually comes with around 300 ft backing, 100 yds #27 leadcore and 20-50ft of leader. Mason calls their's redicore I believe. For the other lengths just purchase regular leadcore line (not pre rigged) and spool the backing then the number of colors you want then tie on you leader. Many sporting goods store have the core Cabelas, Gander Mtn, Dick's Sporting Goods. You can find it online as well. Many different shops carry it. Most of us use #27. It also comes in 18 and 36.

As far as mono goes, if it sets in the sun it will deteriorate faster than some that has been in a "cool dry place". What pound test is it? I run #20 for most of my riggers, but use #30 Fireline for my backing on my lead lines.

Again, hope it helps.

Bob

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is to pay attention to how much line your reels hold. Most of the reels I see here will hold 300 to 350 yards of 20# mono and a reel of that capacity will hold 5 to 7 colors of lead after applying backing first in my experience. To get a reel to hold 10 colors, 1 color is 10 yards, of 27# lead you will need a reel with the capacity similar to the Penn 330 or 309, Daiwa 57lc, Okuma 45 series and the like. If you want to nail things down closer, post what reels you want to use by make and model and there are plenty of good, experienced fishermen here that can give you good solid guidelines. You should be able to run 1 or 2 boards per side comfortably outside of your dipsies within before too long, just remember patience and taking things slowly will go a long way. Good luck and have fun!

Tim, buy the looks of your boat and equipment, a good set up for you would be; 4 riggers with spoons on the poles that have 20 pound mono on them.

Vary the length of your leads. The rigger pole that is deepest should be your shortest lead. Use the back riggers for your deeper sets. The two side riggers should be set 5-15' higher than the back one, and the lead should be 10-20' back farther.

On the two rod holders on the side use: 1 diver and 1 core line. The diver rod should be one of the heavy rods loaded with 30-50 pound braided line on a line counter reel. Set the dive at 1.5-2 setting and run a flasher/fly combo 6-8' behind it. The rod holder holding the diver will get set at a 90 deg angle (horizontal to the water). That holder will be the one closest to the rigger.

The other holder (the one in front of the diver holder) should get set at a 30+- deg. angle and used to hold the core line that goes out to a inline planer board.

After letting all the core out, attach the inline planer to the line and let 100+' more out (let it out straight behind the boat) after you put that rod in the holder, it will pull out to the side.

The idea of a good presentation, is to form a V. The deep rigger is the bottom of the V and the core would be the top.

You will also have a horizontal V. With the back rigger the front of the v and the core the back.

The theory her is; if a Salmon comes up to look at the back rigger, but doesn't like it, soon another presentation will follow a bit higher. Salmon will always feed up.

This is a good search and destroy presentation. If all the fish are at the same depth, than target that depth.

There are some very good "how too" in this section of the site.

tim

hit me up on chitown sometime and you can talk to me about my spread since you're kinda local to me. Been doing this for a few years now out on my mako center console, got a pretty good system down for south end lake fishing.