Penn 210's don't fit new rods

usmcpaul

Hey guys, I just got back from Bass Pro with 4 new rods to round out my lead core set ups, and damn it, my penn 210s don't fit:confused: When I tighten them up there is a ton of slop at the reel base. Has anyone ever ran into this?

The solution is obvious, take them back and get different rods; However, is this something I need to concern myself with in general when shopping for rods? My other reels fit them fine.

I bought the Bass Pro house brand, Power Plus trophy class. It's not really a big deal as I was probably gonna take them back anyway, because I did not like the upper grip portion(the grip portion above the reel). It seemed too small compared to my other rods.

Well now I am open to suggestions on rods. I am trying to scrimp a little on the rods and keep the price to about $25 to $35, and I have decided to try and get a rod that is about 6'6" long ( maybe a tad longer if I must) and has a medium to MH action for pulling lead core.

I might make the trip to Cabelas next weekend to see what they have in stock. Any thoughts?

I have several Diawa Wilderness rods that I got for 14.95 ea they have caught dozens of fish ea with no problems I also have a couple of Diawa Firewolf ML rods that are blast to catch fish on I think they were 19.95 ea I use the Firewolf rods on my riggers and run core off the Wilderness rods mostly. There are many low budget choices out there that all do a good job.

Thanks guys, am not overly concerned with rods breaking (as a matter of fact I have never even caught a fish on my boat yet:lol:) I was more or less looking for inexpensive rods that were in the length and action I want. I had a hard time finding rods in the 6'6" range at Bass Pro, most seemed to be in the 7'6" and taller area.

Does cabelas have a larger selection than Bass Pro at Great Lake Crossing? Is it worth taking a drive this weekend?(1.5 hours each way) I like to shop online for most things, however I prefer to shop for rods in person for some reason.:confused:

Also what do you think about my reels not fitting? Is this just freak thing, or is it something to be concerned with in the future?

Thanks guys, am not overly concerned with rods breaking (as a matter of fact I have never even caught a fish on my boat yet:lol:) I was more or less looking for inexpensive rods that were in the length and action I want. I had a hard time finding rods in the 6'6" range at Bass Pro, most seemed to be in the 7'6" and taller area.

Does cabelas have a larger selection than Bass Pro at Great Lake Crossing? Is it worth taking a drive this weekend?(1.5 hours each way) I like to shop online for most things, however I prefer to shop for rods in person for some reason.:confused:

Also what do you think about my reels not fitting? Is this just freak thing, or is it something to be concerned with in the future?

Why do you want the 6'6" rods?

usmcpaul, I have found this place to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

Its called brettsplaceonthebay its online store but they really were great when it came time to put down the cabbage. Prices + helpfull attitude = my bizniss:). Of course I shop all kinds of places but hey,whats 1 more...to use up your income on, stimulate the economy.:D

Also its located in MI, so I like that.

GTR

If you don't mind buying online, you can find some good deals on Ebay. Make sure you watch the shipping charges though. I have purchased several rods some new, some used, and saved a bunch of $$$ over the last couple years. Brett's also has a bunch for stuff on there and as it's already been said, it's a great place for gear.

Bob

Why do you want the 6'6" rods?

I like the fact that they are easier to handle in a smaller boat, and it makes it easier to change baits for short people like me. Also the heavier action seems like it would make using leadcore a little more controlable?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the tips guys. I have seen Bretts place on ebay before. I will have to check them out closer.

P.S. I found another guy who had the same problem with those rods, so it must be some sort of manufacturing error.

i just went to the great lakes crossing and they didnt really have that much for salmon rods i think they had 20 or so diwia hartlands and 10 shimano TDRs and that was it for salmon rods. I was looking for a 7' wireline rod for a 300 copper and they didnt have a very big section of salmon stuff at all i was kinda disiponted.