January 6th, 2010 Report

My brother Kenneth and I had the lines in the water by 4:00 this afternoon (late start). After only about 10 minutes or so, I hooked into a good fish. It turned out to be nice northern just shy of 36 inches. Sure was fun on a jig pole though!!! It was such a pretty fish, I just had to release her. Several years ago, I landed two northerns over 40 inches on my jig pole in the same season. Todays fish brought back those great memories. After that, both of us were marking fish off and on. Some of which appeared to be good sized, but we could not get them to bite. I finally caught a 16 1/2 inch eater about 5:15. Then a 15 1/4 at 5:40. Kenneth only caught a couple of dinks during this time. At 6:00, we both switched to fishing for Burbot. Kenneth caught a nice 7 1/2 pounder, I got blanked. We fished another half hour with no more Burbot and left. I caught the pike on a #9 "RS" Jigging Rap. The first walleye came on a size 8 "Trout" Ice Darter www.icedarter.net , and the other walleye on a #9 Green Glow Tiger Jigging Rap. Not great action, but could be worse given the short time we fished. Ice is in great shape, but we could use a little snow as there isn't much out there right now. We had about 8 inches where we were. Kevin Lee