Fishing Lingo

Boltman

Ok Guys while it's slow this time of year, it's time to explain and show the Village Idiot what is meant when you're talking, " Yeah we fished in the 14's and the Mid 17's then went into the 54's and fished until we hit the mid 60's"

I do have a Raymarine Chart Plotter and I'm thinking I do have a Clue of what your talking about, but if someone can upload an image of a Chart plotter, and point me in the right direction... then I'll be sure I was looking at the right numbers........Once again thatnks for Helping the Village Idiot!!!!!!!! I'll leave a light on for yeah!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

out of manistee where i fish when you hear the 14s or the 17, they are talking about your north south location.where you are north or south of port. when they are talkin the 28 line or the 32 line they are talking about east west numbers.,or how far off shore you are.the numbers will vary port to port.hope this helps.

In short, its the center number. If they say theyre in the 14's and 54's the N center number will be 14 and the W center number will be 54. Every number you go up or down that equates to around a mile. The last three numbers are what pinpoints you along that line.

If your at

43 14 500

83 54 500

your half way to the next number in each set. Thats why people will ask what the first digit of the last set is allot of times. It allows them to determine where about north and west they are on each line. Cause after all, you could be nearly a mile off.

I should also add that the center numbers will increase to 59 and then theyll change back to 00. This is true for both the N and W set of numbers.

So if you were at

43 59 999

83 59 999

the next set of numbers north and west would be

N 44 00 000

W 84 00 000

remember the numbers are deg of angle for the first set min of angle for the middle set and sec of angle for the last set. Unless you are close to the Equator all the boxes made by the coordinates are not square as such the differance between numbers varies the further north or south of the Equator you get and the peices become more triangular. The north south is not as effected as the east west.