Any Tips?

Adam Bomb

Anyone have any tips for taking pics? If so, add them here. We all love looking at great photos, but to get them requires some careful work with the camera.

Im no expert, but heres a few things i like to do to help get a better quality picture. I like to keep the horizon parallell with the top of the frame in the camera. If possible, have the sun shine on the subject and position yourself so that your shadow doesnt appear in the picture. Also, use the zoom to capture the subject matter. You want to fill the frame. Dont over/under zoom though.(things i struggle with when my Dad takes pics:no:) Also, some poses/shots are best taken in either portrait or landscape, so position the camera appropriately for each shot. I also like to get slightly below the subjetct matter. It just seems to make for a better pic. Cant remember why, but i read it in a magazine somewhere. And lastly, i think most use digital cameras now days, so take allot of pics of the same subject and when you get home youd be suprised that that one of the three shots is great and the others are just ok.

I said my piece, now pile on boys so we can all take those fantatic shots everyone likes to view.

Good points Adam.

The biggest thing to making a photo look good out in the sun, is to eliminate shadows. The best way to do that is, Use your Flash. Yes Flash in the bright day light. If your camera has the ability to manually turn on the flash, then do it. In most digital cameras, when the flash is on during the bright sun, it will only act as a fill flash.

This is an example of flash being used in sunny conditions.

With the sun light hitting Ryan from the right, his whole face would have been dark without the flash. If you look you can see the flash in his glasses.

IMG_9070-1.jpg

When you add flash to bright day light shots, you take the chance of blowing out your lights (overexposing). most cameras have an exposure compensation feature. If you know how to change it, dial it down a few clicks. This will keep the pic from being to bright.

Use a good photo editor to help you get the desired effect.

The fallowing two pictures are taking on the same night. The top one wasn't edited and the bottom one was.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?p=49827&posted=1#post49827

Randy, I like the composition of the first one better. here with a quick edit.

sunsets019.jpg