Flashers and Dodgers

tmiderek

You can run them on all of those delivery devices and can run any of those baits behind them. If you run them on lead core or dipseys they wont run as deep as they would with a spoon or plug on them. And with a rigger, youll have more blow back. Most commonly a squid or fly is run behind a dodger or flasher. In general i run my dodgers and flashers behind a dipsey or on the riggers. Most times i run an 8" on the dipseys. When i run them on riggers i usually bump em up to the 10-12" size on my riggers with a 35-45" leader to the fly/meat rig. Most times when im doing that im fishing deep. There are other variations and im sure others will chime in.

well im a horrible flasher fly dodger squid fishermen and take tops of 5 fish a year on them and i keep buying them? But i dont run them on lead core i think theres two much twisting in the line and if you do run on lead them buy the best ball barring swivle you can buy there worth it or you can have a good mess of leadcore. i run them i maily run them on riggers and low and high divers, iv also had some good luck with baby spin docs and small spoons it was a great offshore set up.

I'm not a big fan of them on core. Many others do, but they seam to twist the line more than plugs and spoons. I run them mostly on the divers. The only time I switch them out is at dusk, then I change the high diver out to a Moonshine spoon. During August quite often I will put one on the low Rigger.

How have your results been lately Derek?

I dont run em a whole lot on the cores either. I usually stick with spoons and plugs on those, but have done real well at times on an 8" NBK SD w/Green Mirage fly on the full core.

As opposed to Matt, flashers and flies take a ton of fish on our boat. They do real well on the divers. A few weeks back 6 of 8 rods in our spread had a flasher and fly on them, but we were fishing pretty deep and they really wanted that agressive stuff. I usually have at least a couple in the spread somewhere though. Good tool.

off the riggers 11" Pro Troll white w/ blue crinkle or Chrome and either green or blue and Rapture Hypnotist or Siggs Gold miarage flies. off the divers 8" Pro Chip flashers Blue Killer or Green Glow frog with any Siggs fly but love the Gold Mirage. Bluegreen Hypnotist, Blue Dolphin, No-See-Um are a few of my favorites. on slders I use Big Weinie Vibrator flies and also pull them on cores with small flashers or a blade setup.

I run almost all flasher flies at certain times of the year. At one point we only had spoons on 5 colors. Everything else (rigger, dipseys, copper, full core, etc) was on flasher flies. We produced very well doing this when the spoon bite was off. Like Jim I typically run a 11" prochip off the riggers. I have run 11" echip off the dipseys and actually won the last small tourney with a 17lb king on this setup. Typically I won't run the big ones on the copper and core. I stick with 8" echip on those, and most of the time I am running 8" echip on dipseys. 90% of the time I run flashers I am running a fly. I have run spoons, but very seldon.

Ok Matt, here they are.

8" White blade, double crush glow SD w/Green Glow Chaos fly. Has two 12 mm ultra glow green beads. Material from Siggs Riggs, beads from Fisher Tackle.

The fly on the flasher had all the green tinsel ate off and all that remains is the glow tinsel. This worked well too. The fly below that is how it started out.

Flashersflyrigs013.jpg

8" Glow Blade, Holographic Mnt. Dew SD w/Glow Bloody Nose fly. Has a red glow fly head, standard glow flashabou and 3 12mm Ultra Glow Blue Beads

Flashersflyrigs011.jpg

8" Blue Dolphin NBK Sd w/Aqua fly. Has 3 8mm faceted lime green beads

Flashersflyrigs007.jpg

Flashersflyrigs015.jpg

8" NBK SD w/Green Mirage Fly. Has 3 8mm facted lime green beads.

Flashersflyrigs009.jpg

Put a dreamweaver pickled sunshine fly behind any spindoctor and thats a safe bet. If thats not working put a no see-um fly behind any white spindotor or paddle. Or my other favorite is the Mt.Dew spindoctor and mirage purple fly. Everyone will have their favorites so pick something you like and keep it wet, it will go when the fly bite is on!

• 2 weeks later...

Any blue combination was good for me this year. Maybe the most productive was a blue fly on a 12" Orange dodger (not even sure what brand, been in the tackle box for several year). I ran this on both the downriggers and dipsey rods. Dipsey out fished downriggers for me 3 or 4 to one this year.

I bought Captain John King's Reel Flashers, what length of line behind it I should use for fly and for spoon ?

The most common rule is 3 times the length of the flasher.

We mostly only fun Flies behind the flasher here in Michigan.