No Nav Lights?!?!

Jose

So me and my buddy were doing some walleye fishing last night and we came across TWO boats out on the water without any navigation lights! This was not right after dark either, it was right around midnight. Then as we were trolling one of the boats just passed across our bow and made us change course when they were the ones from my understanding that should have been changing course. We even pulled our lines so as not to hook their lines. I really had to hold back not to yell something at them. It's idiots like that who are going to get someone killed not having lights on their boats. So I just wanted to remind everyone to be EXTRA safe out there at night, you never know when there is going to be a boat out there without nav lights.

Have you guys ever come across boats without nav lights?

Happens out on lake mich all the time. Last night we were almost to pier heads and finally just saw the back light as he cut in front of us at Mach 10. Last year had a guy there do the same thing with no light at all. Glad i didnt yell too much cuz at the dock he 6'8" and drunk as a skunk:eek:

Had a PWC come across inland lake at 1030PM last year, obviously no lights. Same night had a guy out tubing at 1015PM with only front nav light, brilliant. These people are just waiting for a Darwin award.:P

Yes we had this happen in Ludington last weekend, he was just in front of us coming into the pier heads and I followed him until I had to go into Harbor view marina, thought about calling the Coast Gaurd, but I didn't know if they'd do anything about it....again it's the idiots that make boating dangerous...Everyone who owns a boat, should have to go through a power sqaudron coarse and have boat inspected each year,it would save lives...trust me. I've noticed some of the time the Sheriff sits inside the peir heads in Ludington and watches over the fishermen coming in at night, that night they weren't there,shucks..........

I just wish the sheriff or coast guard had the resources to require a yearly boat safety inspection, but sadly I don't see that happening. At least in Muskegon, the sheriff is usually off the water at or earlier than 9:30. But next time I see someone without lights on I am definatly going to say something, for my safety and the safety of everyone else out on the water.

I was night fishing for steelhead on the Lewis River here in Washington and was on hook setting lines when I could hear a boat coming fast(river jetboats). I had my lights on and started to shine the mag light and the guy yelled at me that I messed up his night vision. He was on plain 30 mph + with out nav light and didn't see him untill he was only 100' away. Jetboats tend to slide through turns and I was on a outside bend.

take down there numbers and call the cops or sherrif.i have seen them waite and write them tickets in manisee,they should confiscate there boat till they take a common sense corse.not only do they put themselves in danger but me and you to.personally i would lump there heads as a reminder:eek:

there was a little boat in front of Port Sheldon pier heads wed night and all i saw to know he was there was his fish finder. i turned and went around him. 16 ft row boat with no lights. then when waiting in line to get out i saw three more boats with not a light on. I agree with the saftey check idea.