My 1995 Mercury 90 hp grinds bad when going to reverse and has a slight grind noise while idling in neutral [still starts] forward is working fine. i disconected my shift cable and no change.Lower end problem for sure ...right? I do not want to pay$300 to $500 to have some slappy pull it apart before i even get to the fix. Looks easy to pull the low end off ...does anyone know of a good and fair repair shop ,or how hard would it be to do all by myself ? ANY ADVICE OR TIPS GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS>:o

They are not very hard to work on Joel but the special tools that you need to do it are expensive. Only a few bolts to drop the lower unit off pull it and start the engine breifly to make sure the grinding is in the lower end. I have had several apart but don't have all the tools I have a friend who does it for a living maybe we could get together and check it out. I can tell you that the labor won't be to much but if it is what I think the parts will be a couple hundred bucks or more. I spent 270 on parts rebuilding mine on a 80hp Merc.

Once you see one apart you will be amazed how simple it is but the funky tools needed to get it apart are way overpriced. Basiclly the shifter is a plunger with a pin that connects to the sliding gear it has a spring behind it which pushs it into forward gear. There is a cam and pawl that pushs it back to go into neutral and further back to go in reverse. Go out and see if your prop will move forward and back there should be nearly no movement if it moves you rear carrier is loose or damaged. If it does not move odds are you have a worn shifter pin and galled up gears. Actually you likely need new gears anyway if they have been grinding.