Boating Report South Haven 6/13-6/14

As you all know the summer lull has hit alot of us southern lake michigan fisherman. With that in mind this weekend was dedicated to showing the wife and kids a great time on the lake. A friend was kind enough to lend his boat slip to the family and I for the weekend so we took advantage. We salmon fished a few hours Sat night with intention of hitting the 300ft range. Well, we made it to 245fow and turned around. We finally hit a steelie on a 3 color at 195ft and the wife was whipping the rod around trying to figure out what to do with the planer board and we watched that steelie flip a few times and say good bye. Then at the 140ft mark we landed a BEAUTIFUL lake trout. The kids loved that! After a great night sleeping on the boat we left the dock at 8 am and set lines in 140ft. I foul hooked a fish on the 7 color and couldnt get it to the boat before tearing it a new one. A little while later the 5 color blasted off and my wife tryed to get it under control and couldnt make it happen. Sooo after 2 hours we gave up and decided to drift for perch. We napped and drifted for perch for a few hours in 30-25fow and managed to get 8 nice ones. All in all we enjoyed ourselves out there and was a great weekend of boating............

Lures that kinda worked- old stained watermellon lure for the laker

Flys that worked- Nothing

Trolling speed- 2.8-4.8mph

Perch lures- Minnows

andy, i am pretty sure i was loading my boat right next to you on sunday! i have the sea ray hard top. i noticed the name on your boat, but it didn't registar til now. next time i'll say hi.

Yep that was me, I was on the trailer and out like a bandit before the kids freaked out at the launch. Plus I was HUNGRY. :D