Muskegon 9 May - Gale Warning!

I cancelled the first GLFTT event this morning because of lighting. There was also a gale warning, but this was not a factor until later in the day.

After cancelling the tournament at 5:30am, a few of us got together at Papa Bears restaraunt on Apple Ave and head breakfast.

We got back to the boat after breakfast and decided we were still going fishing. We cast off at 7:30am, and headed out. Around 8:00am, I pulled the throttles back at 80FOW, put us on a SW troll, and started setting lines.

We trolled all the way out to 95FOW without a bump. The down temp at 40' was 44 degrees, so I turned the boat back towards shore. The down temp started climbing. When we hit 75FOW, the down temp at 40' was 47 degrees. Right away, and rigger set at 30' with a fixed slider 5' above the ball went. This was one of the smaller chinooks and it came on a Stinger stingray size Craig's x-mas.

After resetting this line, a full core went. This ended up being our biggest chinook and came on a Stinger magnum size Killer Dolphin.

Our next fish was another chinook, and came on a downrigger set at 40' with a Stinger magnum size Killer Blue Dolphin. This spoon never went into production, so good luck finding one. :(

Our last fish was a lake trout and came on a 1/2 core with a Stinger stingray size craig's x-mas.

Around 9:30am, someone turned the fan switch on "HI", and it started blowing hard out of the NE. OK.....maybe they were correct about the gale warning. :P We pulled lines and headed in. Our final tally was 4 for 4.

chinook_47278.jpg

While we were fishing, this bird landed on Mark(Just Hook'n).

bird2.jpg

Glen put his finger in front of it, and it stepped on to Glens finger.

bird3.jpg

Notice the lack of waves in these photos. They were 1' or less when we headed out.

Something interesting we saw today. We saw one of these birds floating on the lake. I thought it was dead. Just after we passed it, it stares flapping it wings and took off. :confused:

nice job mike...i see how you are ...cancel the event so you can have the lake to yourself:lol:

Acually....We did see a boat working the skinny water to the South of the piers.

Good job mike! did you throw the birdfish back i don't think they are in season yet! :lol:

He was in season. Unfortunately he was not long enough, so we had to release him. :angry2:

We had that same bird come aboard Phat Phish. Started a little later than GLF. Went south a few miles, and set right on top of a good pod of bait. Got one off a DR, it went from one side of the boat across the other. Wrapped up around the DR cable and broke off. Soon after that, the wind changed direction, and it started to build in a hurry. Pulled lines and ran back to port. Just wasn't meant to be today.