Rigel got one!

EdB

It was nice to finally get out in the woods with a call in my hand after the last few weeks of scouting. I took my friend's son Rigel. We got set up and had 5-6 gobblers in the area sounding off from the tree's as it got light. I waited awhile and then gave a soft tree yelp. They all sounded back from the tree's. I waited some more until we heard one fly down. Gave another soft yelp and come clucks, they gobbled back, some from the ground and some still in the tree's. Then we heard a hen on the ground clucking so I started talking with her. She was yelping, clucking and purring and coming our way. The toms keep gobbling. I shut up and let the hen do all the talking. The gobblers loved it but I could hear they had hens with them too, all on the ground now. The lone hen came into our decoys and she must have liked them as she stayed around for about 20 minutes. We see a strutter coming about 150yrds out. She is still talking and he is answering. Cool, we have a live decoy. She starts to head his way and I cluck 4 or 5 times and she turns around and comes back. The strutter on the ground had hens and he is not coming our way, he is on a parallel path and drops out of sight. Another strutter come into view but follows the same path as the first. Even our live and still very talkative decoy can't bring them to us. She finally heads their way, I can't turn her and she goes out of sight. I waited a bit and gave a few clucks and purrs. Another gobbler answers back, he is close but just behind a knoll and we can't see him. I give a another cluck and a purr and we see the top of his fan and he is coming. He comes into full view just out of range and he gobbles. A couple soft clucks and he is moving our way again. I can see he's a jake but Rigel was going to shoot the first legal bird he could. He stop's and struts about 30yrds out. I tell Rigel he is in range and to get the gun up when his head is blocked by a tree or his fan. The bird stands there for about 5 minutes and the mosquitos's are biting both of us. I've got one on my nose and one by my eye sucking blood and nothing I can do. Rigel takes one in the face too and doesn't move. The bird finally struts in a cricle and Rigel gets the gun up. We get to watch him gobble again, I give out a really hard set of clucks, more like a putts and he drops his fan and sticks his head up and boom, Rigel drops him! Awesome morning! My hunt starts Monday and I just packed the Deepwoods Off in my vest. Here's a pic, the smiles says it all!

rigel_s_turkey.jpg

Congrats to Ed and Rigel. Look at that smile. It's great to share your sport with a kid. He will remember that hunting trip for the rest of his life. Maybe he will help you into the woods for your last few hunts. It's a pay it forward kind of thing. :)

Alright!!!...congratulations to you both. Awesome story and a great bird. Those mosquitos sure have a way of showing up when your most vulnerable and are anything but mercilous!...Thats one reason i like the first hunt soo much better. But, this years wet warm weather has give them a jump start.

Good luck hunting, i hope you bag your bird soon.