Higgins Lake Report

Fished Higgins last night and tonight. Caught 100 smelt last night and went 1 for 2 on lakers this morning. Smelt were in 50 ft. of water out from the Legion grounds and laker was on a slammer tip-up in 110' ft. with a grey shiner fished just off the bottom. Also had a hit on a silver/green Do-Jigger tipped with a big grey. Apparently it was too big. The shiner had teeth marks on the tail. Great weekend with Mike (Redeagle). LOTS of slush out there when we came off the lake at 2 pm.

GJ Nick. I never fished smelt like that, but I*'ll bet it's fun.

I live about 3/4 mile from the old hot spot for smelt, (The Singing Bridge). You could have a real good time just watching the drunks trying to net the tasty little fish. It was not uncommon to fill 5 gal buckets, garbage cans, etc. The good old days. Some of the guys called it smelt drinking.:lol:

Sorry I didn't give you a call when we got up there this morning Nick. I was not on the lake more than 15 min and my cell phone now swims with the fishes.....:(

We were straight out out from little creek in about 117fow and picked up one 14" laker (released) and left one cell phone on the bottom.....:o In the evening we fished in 40fow between big and little creek. Got a couple dink perch, about 100 smelt, and 1 rock bass. Earlier in the day we checked this area out in about 30fow with the camera and we seen 2 HUGE pike and one really nice rainbow.

Sorry I didn't give you a call when we got up there this morning Nick. I was not on the lake more than 15 min and my cell phone now swims with the fishes.....:(

We were straight out out from little creek in about 117fow and picked up one 14" laker (released) and left one cell phone on the bottom.....:o In the evening we fished in 40fow between big and little creek. Got a couple dink perch, about 100 smelt, and 1 rock bass. Earlier in the day we checked this area out in about 30fow with the camera and we seen 2 HUGE pike and one really nice rainbow.

Did you get your camera resealed?

Did you get your camera resealed?

Yep and it worked great. the only problem was that I lost my phone in 117fow and I only have about 90' of cord.... I just ended up using mastic tape and it seems to be holding good.

Sounds like you guys did alright too Matt, except for the phone. I bet the lake was a mess when you left saturday night.

Yea it was nothing but slop but it made for better travel for us though. There were 3 of us and only one machine so we pulled the trailer with the quad and put gear and riders in that. it was a slow go in the morning cause of all the snow but by the end of the day it was pulling nice but it was wet.