Saginaw Bay 1/23/09

Fished the bay yesterday and either the fish were just not bitting or I need to learn more on how to catch them out there. We left from Erickson Rd and set up in 21fow. We fished from 11AM till dark and never had a bump. Marked a few fish on my Lowrance but they would just come in to take a look and leave..:confused: We tried just about every lure we had and could not get them to bite.

I also got to try out my homemade underwater camera out there and it worked great.............For about 5min. Discovered I have a leak somewhere in the camera housing.:( Not sure what happened cause I tested it on a local lake down to 40' for about 30min and there was no leak then. Hope to have the problem solved before the next trip.

Maybe the cold temps caused a little shrinkage. Did you rub some pertroleum jelly on the seal?

I used some dielectric silicone that I got from work and put it on the seal and threads.

I am thinking it is coming in from where the wires go into the back of the housing. I used some underwater puddy and it hardened up real good but I am thinking that it did not seal/bond well around the cable.

I used some dielectric silicone that I got from work and put it on the seal and threads.

I am thinking it is coming in from where the wires go into the back of the housing. I used some underwater puddy and it hardened up real good but I am thinking that it did not seal/bond well around the cable.

I would use the 3M 5200 marine sealant on it.

Fished the bay yesterday and either the fish were just not bitting or I need to learn more on how to catch them out there. We left from Erickson Rd and set up in 21fow. We fished from 11AM till dark and never had a bump. Marked a few fish on my Lowrance but they would just come in to take a look and leave..:confused: We tried just about every lure we had and could not get them to bite..

Matt.

Don't feel bad about the poor success on the Bay. The last week has been more miss then hit for me and a lot of my friends. And most fish are coming on the dead rod versus any jigging spoons. Heres a hint. When a fish comes in the hole, don't move anything. Make sure you have a live minnow rigged with a simple gold single hook and split shot, or a Genz Worm in the other hole your not jigging in. Not saying it's going to work every time, but it's cathing most of the fish lately. And I think the fishing will only get better. This is as early as I've ever fished the bay in the last few years. Good luck bud.:grin:

Heres a hint. When a fish comes in the hole, don't move anything. Make sure you have a live minnow rigged with a simple gold single hook and split shot, or a Genz Worm in the other hole your not jigging in.

We were using dead rods with Genz Worm's but I see our mistake now. When fish showed up on the Lowrance we would continue jigging but toned it down to just a "wiggle". Thanks for the tip Dan and I will be trying it next time out.:)