Saginaw Bay 1-19-09

With the action red hot Sunday and the ice thickness reports a whole lot better, I took two clients out yesterday to the same spot my bud limited in 2 hours. But ahhh, what a difference a day makes. Funny part though, the day was almost exactly the same type day as Sunday was the day before. But yesterday the fish were very, very moody (lots of lookers but few biters) and few people I/we talked to did very well anywhere. We did manage to go 3 for 5, but most all but one came on the dead rod rigged with a larger Genz Worm and shiner. My new HD video camera also didn't want to act right in the warm shanty with all but this photo unviewable.

IMG_0104.sized.jpg

Thanks for the reports Dan.:)

So just how are the ice conditions(crack's)? I am hoping to make it over that way either wed or thur.

Matt.

I can/will only vouch for the road access I used (Ericson road). Drive out on the ice off the end of the road and park on the ice. It had a very well groomed and easy to fallow trail going out and crack problems were none. The trail does meander through some impressive (heaves) but not a single bad spot. I would only use caution if deviating off these well worn trails, as there is still some wet/deep slush spots caused by the recent heavy snows. And the new ice out 2 miles is still only 7 to 8 inches thick. But the longer this cold blast lasts, the better it will get. :grin: