New Big Jons....Need Advice.

Well people I got my new Big Jons,I bought a pair of Captain packs because we really don't so a lot of fishing but would like to get out and do more. Is there anything I should know, like what not to do with them, ad what I can expect with them, ny tricks, Like how in the hel do you hook up the Big Jon Release with the rubber band.....Come on Big jon users let me know the do's and Don'ts. Also, what size and shape balls should I use, how heavy???? So many questions so much time... heh he he hehehehehh There's like 100 day's til fishing Day.

Robert Chapman

Robert, One Hundred days is right. Gitter Done.:) I don't own Big Jon Riggers but I have used them. The switch is a little tricky at first. Keep your thumb in the middle of the switch for more control. The rubber band releases are used by looping the rubber band around the line and back through itself and tighten it, then hook it on the release.:) Did you mount the riggers yet? Make sure you use some backing plates.

I have BJ riggers (Pro Tournament) and run either 10# or 14# cannonballs. Depends on how deep I am fishing. I also run the band buster releases. I just half-hitch the rubber band around the line about 5 times and then put both loops into the hook. By hooking both loops you get more strength which allows you to "load up" the rod better and get better hook sets. One trick with any riggers is if you have the thumb screws that hold the rigger to the base you need to put tension on them while you are trailering or the will vibrate loose. A simple bungy strap hooked from the pulley to the trailer or part of the boat works well for this. If you have any other questions just ask.

Hello Robert, depending on how deep you are fishing will determine how much weight. When I am in Lake Erie it is no deeper than 30 feet so I use 6 lb balls. In lake Michingan Im fishing for salmon and can go very deep. I just purchased some 12 lb shark shaped cannon balls. You get a little less blow back with them. Frank is right about the switch it is a rocker switch. Up is up down is down and off is in the center. Just practice with it a little you will do fine. Have your crew practice also. If you have not mounted them yet this might help. I got mine a little too close to the side of the boat so when I launch or tie up I have to be careful because the switch hangs out over the edge of the boat and can hit the dock post. I have broke one so far.

Hope this helps.

TT

I use the removable bases, and pull my riggers off when I am not at the boat. This may be the way for you to go if you are going to be trailering your boat, of if you do not want them on the back of your boat all of the time. I also have a draw cord on my riggers. Instead of flipping them up when setting, I pull the cord and pull the cannonballs next to the boat.

I would not recommend using bigger than a 12lb ball with the captain's pack. You can still fish a 12lb as deep as you want.

I also have a draw cord on my riggers. Instead of flipping them up when setting, I pull the cord and pull the cannonballs next to the boat.

I have some old Cannon Riggers and use the same pull cord pulley type set up to bring in the balls on the longer out and down riggers. The swing up Big Jon riggers are OK but take some getting used to. It's much easier for me to pull in the tether line, to bring the ball close, to hook up the release.:)

I like the tip-up booms better than the draw cords. I just set my auto-stops so that when the ball stops I tilt the boom up and the ball comes in at waist level. Then I can set it in the cradle or just rig up right then. I might not have been clear when I was talking about rubber bands before. I only use 1 rubber band, just hook both loops into the release.

I prefer the tip up booms on the rear riggers as they clear my cooler better I might go back to pull backs on my side riggers mostly because I don't have auto stops and so having to get them stopped in the right spot for the tip ups to work well can be a PITA when you are in a hurry. I don't like rubber bands never have and don't keep any on the boat I use medium or heavy pinch pads and keep a lot of pressure on the rods my hook up ratio is pretty good so other than dragging a shaker now and then I am ok with it. One other thing I learned a long time ago was not to tighten the drag to tight on the riggers. If I hit a net or something I want the rigger to let out line rather than just to break something also I like to be able to hand adjust so I set the drag so it will hold the weight but I can still move it up or down by hand on rough days I have to run them a bit tighter so they don't bounce down.

Wow, that is some great advice,thanks again so much.

So here's my set, they will be on 12"gimble mounts removeable and stored in the engine compartment. I have only 1 rod holder hole on ech side of the boat, that's why I went with multiple rod holders on each Rigger.I also put them on Swival bases as well, all I need now is open water, some warm weather, and a little practice...No a lotta Practice is what I need. But I sure am Glad that I can count on you guys for some great advice, and help .The BOSS went and bought 140.00 doallrs woth of sons flies and flashers at the fishing show.... She's like a salmon when it comes to lures.......and she bites on the most expensive and shinny lures and flies there are, honestly I do not know what to do with her....... any advice on that one Guys.

Tell her she's doing a great job and keep it up! I think it's great that she's excited about it. Maybe you could try to educate her about colors, presentations, depths, temperatures and other things. Let her pick out and rig some rods when you go out. Buy a copy of Keating on Kings and have her read it (you too if you haven't). My wife doesn't care much about the fishing but she goes along and drinks beer. I'm just glad she likes salmon so I can fish whenever I want. Encourage your wife, you'll be able to spend more time on the water if she likes it too.

Wow, that is some great advice,thanks again so much.

So here's my set, they will be on 12"gimble mounts removeable and stored in the engine compartment. I have only 1 rod holder hole on ech side of the boat, that's why I went with multiple rod holders on each Rigger.I also put them on Swival bases as well, all I need now is open water, some warm weather, and a little practice...No a lotta Practice is what I need. But I sure am Glad that I can count on you guys for some great advice, and help .The BOSS went and bought 140.00 doallrs woth of sons flies and flashers at the fishing show.... She's like a salmon when it comes to lures.......and she bites on the most expensive and shinny lures and flies there are, honestly I do not know what to do with her....... any advice on that one Guys.

The gimble mounts should work well, and the riggers will be easy to remove. Be careful storing them in the engine compartment. If you happen to start the engine before removing the riggers, strange things may happen.:lol: You better keep that woman. Does she have a sister?:)

Yes she does have a sister, she goes fishing with her husband too, but reads, Mine Drives the boat....Now I know you guys are Jealous...I will have them mounted inthe engine compartment away from the engines, we have a 320 Sea Ray and it has a mssive engine room. All the rods are mounted to the underside of the Engine Hatch,it's a great way to get them all together. We spend a lot of time on the water together also, it's great we make the coffee, and head out early in the Morning, ah man it's great, having your wife next to you , on the boat, while fishing for Kings....even if you don't get a bite.......Ha Ha Ha. Life is Good........

So Mike what o you think about a 10 ball, We fish in Lake Michigan, where it can get deep will this go deep enough?????

10 lb balls will go deep but you will have more blow back the reason for heavy balls is to get them as close to straight down as possible while moving. Sitting still a 1 lb ball will hit botton in 300 ft with 300 ft of line but at 2.5 mph the same setup might only get 100 ft down. With 10 lb balls I figure a 100 on the rigger counter is about 80 down or less a 12 lb might be 85 and a 15 might be 90 and a 20 might make 95. and that is at 2.0 go faster they come up more move into a differant current they change again colder water is denser as well. I have had a 10 lb ball down 120 on the rigger in 85 ft of water without hitting bottom. While you are getting to know your gear do what most of us do pick a baseline speed like 2.5 mph and see how much it takes to hit the bottom in 40 FOW then move out to 50 FOW and try again. For example it might take 47 ft of cable to hit in 40 FOW and 62 to hit in 50 FOW and 75 ft to hit in 60FOW. I can switch modes on my fishfinder to show my cannon balls this is another option. I would sugget you get this book it will answer a lot of questions.

http://www.precisionangling.com/bigwater.html

Everything we run has differant dive curves and even the setups we run behind the cannon balls effects how it runs and how deep it is.

So is it better to buy the weights that are more aerodynamic,say the fish like looking ones? Or stick to the round balls as I have seen in the shops? And thanks fo the name of the book I will be sure to read that, hell anything helps.

Yes any thing more areodynamic will reduce blowback even thinner fishing line I have heard of guys using 60 lb Power Pro on their riggers which might help a lot with 8 or 10 lb weights but the fleas will suck bad on it when they are present. The thin pancake weights reduce blow back but are prone to underwater current issues. This can be good and bad as if you see that they are being pushed to one side meaning there is a cross current you may have better luck adjusting your course to run against the current as most fish prefer to face a current. But if you are fishing near other boats you may make a few of them mad if you change course. I have 4 riggers but go out with a dozen weights from 8 to 20 lbs and try to match them to the rigger and the task if we are out front 60 FOW or less 8 on the sides and 10 on the rears out deep I will run 10 or 12 on the side and 15 or 20 on the rear riggers.

Bolt I have two captain packs and they are great. I love the rubber band busters and I find that I get solid hook ups and few shakers. I recommend getting the band wet the first time you send the line down I think it helps keep the line from sliding through. Make sure you sinch it tight to the line. If I am setting deep I use two bands to keep from popping too early (I know that's a problem for some guys :)) I like to use the tip up boom. I bring the line up until the weight is just in the water and then tip the boom up when I'm ready to rig. One tip is to have your line rigged and the rubber band on I hook the rubber band to the handle on my reel and put it in the rod holder. Then I just slip it off put it on the band buster and bombs away. (I use my drag to keep tension on the line while it is being lowered.) I was going to try something new this year. I found a 2-3 foot piece of steel with a hook on the end. I may use that to snag the line instead of the tip up but I fish from a small boat so I'm close to the water anyway. Good luck.

We have four big jon's on our boat,we have found that the rigger retrieves a 12# ball real nice and we get minimal blow back, i DON'T like to use the tip up booms as i have never gotten used to them and i have pinched my thumb more than once and with a 12 pound ball on the end of a 4 ft boom thats allot of pinch for the buck!we use the gator releases some say they like the rubber band releases but again i stick with what i know and they are simple to use and last along time.

And as far as lures MOON SHINE spoons will get ya bites

the biggest thing to do is find what they like and keep givin it to them!!