Spoon Fed Walleyes Q & A.

How do you guys go about running spoons? I'm wondering what my options are. One more thing what kind of speed?

Thanks

Jason Kubik

Jason.

Here is 4 pictures taken last year on June 1st 2008. It was a shake down cruise with 3 friends, before I started my own 2008 charter season. We ran all Rattle Tot lures, teamed with a combination of straight Michigan Stinger Scorpion spoons and my home made Stinger Scorpion spoon harnesses as sliders ahead of and above the Tot's. (See the Rattle Tot and slider below it in first picture). We caught over 30 walleyes in about 2 hours, with many doubles and triples. You can see in one picture a fish being hauled in while my buddy Bob posses with the another. I didn't take these same Rattle Tot's off virtually all season, or even traded out any of the colors. I did have to quit using bare spoon sliders half way through the season though, because I was just catching and hurting to many little walleyes. As far as speed went. Anything from 1.2 to 3.5 caught fish. Rattle Tot's will continue to dig and work up to speeds approaching 6 MPH. And the spoons do the same. Capt. Dan.

IM001682.jpg

IM001689.jpg

IM001692.jpg

IM001681.jpg

Dan,

what size are those rattle tots that you are using ?

I don't have any of those, but, I need to buy at least a few.

Thanks, Bill

Bill.

Rattle Tots only come in one size 3/8. And good luck finding any, as they are as rare now as hens teeth. Normark/Rapala quit building them and Hot-N-Tots when they bought out Storm Lures about 12years ago now. A couple years later, and after a lot of verbal abuse from old buyers like me, realized their mistake. Tried making some cheap plastic billed Hot-N-Tot knock-offs a few years later that didn't sell. And are now using the original molds and making some of the original Hot-N-Tots again, but not the Rattle Tots (YET). I have roughly 85 Rattlers left myself. I've seen some of the rare Rattle Tot colors going for as much as $45.00 each on E-bay. I got a few Hot-N-Tots that I've seen sell for $75.00 each on E-bay when new and still in the original box, and one color (Flamingo/Red Bill) go in an auction for $250.00. If you think loosing a good lure is simply stressful, try loosing one of those.

Well I went over and saw my fishin' partner today, was telling him about your set up.

He said follow me, went into the basement and retrieved a canvas bag with those plastic boxes in it. Asked me, are these what your talking about ?

He must have near 100 of the rattle tots and hot shots in those boxes ! ! ! !

Said he got them at a yard sale, they were all in a big ball, hooks all tangled together spent 3 hours getting them untangled.

Best part, he only paid $5.00 for the bunch of them!

So, I guess we will be trying your method after all Dan.

Well I went over and saw my fishin' partner today, was telling him about your set up.

He said follow me, went into the basement and retrieved a canvas bag with those plastic boxes in it. Asked me, are these what your talking about ?

He must have near 100 of the rattle tots and hot shots in those boxes ! ! ! !

Said he got them at a yard sale, they were all in a big ball, hooks all tangled together spent 3 hours getting them untangled.

Best part, he only paid $5.00 for the bunch of them!

So, I guess we will be trying your method after all Dan.

Yup....Just like the Antique Road show. I found this Million dollar painting at a garage sale. :eek::eek::eek::no::rolleyes: