Boat lights

One of the projects I would like to tackle on my boat in the spring is to mount new spotlights on the front of the boat. The Searay I have has a small spotlight that is mounted on the rail on the bow that is operated remotely by a toggle on the dash. This light doesn't do a whole lot, in the morning before light, or coming in after dark, it would be nice to be able to light up an area well enough to see obstacles like seawalls and docks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I just have and use a bow mounted, remote controlled spot and flood light. The key to safe night time boating is do it slow. A GPS with coordinates a half mile or so out from the pier heads. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.:)

While I personally don't like extra lights as they tend to confuse other boats in the dark. Often I find I am nearly blinded by my own lights as it takes a while to readjust your eyesight when you turn them off. I have considered mounting the recessed lights in the bow as they have the least glare and provide good light for docking and low speed running. I am going to wrap all my railings to reduce the glare when using lights at night I am adding more glow tape and paint to my rear deck and fishing gear and adding more blacklights to the rear for night fishing. But for running at night I prefer minimum lighting and stand on the platform so I am above the windshield and run at a cautious cruise.

Well, the problem with having a hardtop is it is difficult to get up on the bow and see what is going on, also when I have the electronics turned on, it makes it that much more difficult to see out into the dark. I realize that having lights in front makes it harder for other boats, but I wouldn't be using the lights constantly, just enough to get my bearings. I have a good gps, but it does not show all of the obstacles that would concern me, especially if I am fishing out of a new or unfamiliar port.

Well, the problem with having a hardtop is it is difficult to get up on the bow and see what is going on, also when I have the electronics turned on, it makes it that much more difficult to see out into the dark..

I turn the back light down on my fish finder when its dark out. It makes it easier to see out the window, because I am not blinded by the bright light of my big screen tv. :D

I understand Tony my boat is not a hardtop so when weather is nice I can roll up the canvas and stand up above the windshield. When weather is not so good being out at night sux even with the back lighting turned down I have glare and poor visability. My remote spotlight helps but increases glare off the bow railings. I wish I could afford radar I have looked at the hull mounted bow lights as they do a nice job but really don't like cutting holes in my boat. Anything you add needs to be forward and low just like fog lights on a car or truck the lower the better which just made me think of hanging something under my bow pulpit that might work. I could try a couple of them new small fog or driving lights and would not have the glare to deal with. Perhaps if I went with amber lens fog lights aimed at the water it might give me 30 to 50 yards of light without being too much of a problem for other boats.

I have a Furuno Radar on the boat, but when you get close to shore or in the harbor, it will not clearly differentiate items like breakwalls and such. It would be nice to be able to use the radar for manuvering like that.

The other problem would be lights that will stand up to the water.