GPS on laptop

KJ pluggin

Well I considered the same idea last yeardid not have a 12v adaptor for my laptop. Thought about buying one but realized laptop was not water resistant as such not sure it would last on a small boat. I got a 12v computer out of a wrecked motor home this spring and plan on installing it in the cabin of my boat this winter. It has a trip computer software program but I did not salvage the GPS antenna. So I was mostly thinking of using it for entertainment as it has a DVD player and have considered getting a TV tuner for it. The biggest concern I have is it is not water resistant either but I could get a water resistant display and use the wireless keyboard mouse setup. But honestly it is a comprimise setup and by the time I purchase the missing GPS antenna and software and a remote display I realized I could get a decent GPS fishfinder combo and not risk my computer. So in the end I am still unsure if the computer will ever go in the boat as I may just get a portable DVD player for something to watch when we spend the night on the boat. Since I have a secondary plan for the 12v computer to use it with my Ham radio gear as a portable station. Which I plan on bringing fishing with me as soon as I get a antenna for it then if the fish won't bite I can talk to friends around the world. On the other hand if you have one of the Tough Book laptops that can survive the elements you should be ok but if not I bet you can get a really nice setup designed for boats for less. I would hate to see you lose the laptop and most of them went survive one wave hitting them we seldom fish under ideal conditions I don't know what kind of boat you have but unless you have a well inclosed cabin to keep it dry I would not risk my laptop.

Tight Lines

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to. Granted, they don't handle water well, but even in a small boat, surely there's a place to keep them dry. Buy a used laptop, if you don't want to risk your good one. You should be able to pick one up, that will do, for $150. Hardwire that puppy to your battery, carry a garbage bag to through over it in big seas....and you have a big screen GPS with a keypad! Oh ya, you need software and a GPS interface.....try Fugawi (www.fugawi.com), not really cheap, but good, I've heard.

Well I would love a big screen fishfinder but hardly have any use for a big screen GPS. But then I have 2 units on my boat I have a Garman handheld wired to my radio and a Lawrance fishfinder GPS unit as well with a nav chip in it. But by the time you buy the 150 dollar laptop the 280 dollr software and the 70 dollar antenna you have 500 bucks into a GPS that dies with the first wave that hits you by suprise. That was the point that stopped me as the same money will buy you a water proof unit with maritime maps built in while it won't have a big screen it will tell you where you are and where to go just as accurately.

Man I missed alot this year.....

(But made alot of money)!!!

I did it and it worked ok. Have a handheld, put the laptop in the cuddy, used a program called MapsendTopo and it worked just fine, was just a pain in the arse when the battery died (lol) since I left the cord home I was done.

I have a nice Lowrance for the phish, and instead of the 200 buck antenna which will cut my screen in half for GPS, I'm going to buy the lake map for my car GPS and bring that for the future!

My lowrance screen isn't as big as some peoples (GLF)!!!

T

• 3 weeks later...