Dad's first king...in 20+ years!

My dad bought a boat over 20 years ago and we cut our teeth trolling for salmon in the mid 1980's in northwest Indiana. Since then he sold his boat and lost interest completely. I have fished for salmon with a passion, even as I moved to Michigan in 2000. This spring my dad retired and moved to Grand Haven just blocks from the GH pier.

Since the kings are in close I convinced him to take a walk out to the pier on Saturday morning to try out the rod and reel I bought him for fathers day this summer. We casted glow spoons and my dad hooked and landed this nice king that got us both excited. At first light the spoon bite died and the alewife fishermen started slamming fish. My dad decided he should get a cast net to try fishing for them that way too. I couldn't be prouder, and it seems like an old fire has been lit again in him!

dadking.JPG

Nice job Tim! He looks pretty happy. Next year I plan on taking my grandpa out salmon fishing, he's never been out on LM and he's 79. He taught me how to perch fish on Higgins Lake when I was a kid and I can't wait to get him hooked into a king. He rarely fishes anymore. Sometimes people forget how much they enjoy doing certain things when they don't do it for a long time.

That's realy cool that you re-lit the fire in you dad Tim! It brings back some memories of fishing with my dad on the pier.

My dad lit a fire in me back on the Manistee pier in 1973. We where sure some salmon green horns back then. We had our share of skunks and learned a lot of fishing lessons the hard way. The fire still burns hard. I sure wish he was still here today to go fishing with me but I cherish the memories.

Here's wishing you and your dad lot's of new fishing adventures in the coming years!