New Part timer on board

Hello All, I'm a brand new angler, and it's unfair to the best anglers to even call me an angler, I fish for the salmon and Trount when i can off my 320 Sea Ray,.... See I told you I was a part timer.

I'll be fishing in Grand Traverse Bay area, and I can use all the advise you pros can give me, Fished yesterday for the first time, with my new equipment from Fish On, in Spring Lake, from Captain Willis, caught Nothing and it's exactly what I thought I'd catch, so I wasn't upset.... I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm using Divers and Spoons, no down riggers at all, Can you all give me some advise.... Oh I'll be getting the fishfinder this winter, right now I'm guessing that they are down there............

Welcome! We all have to start somewhere. I know a lot of fishermen that have started with just divers and leadcore rods. I've even pulled my riggers before to run more core. The best way to learn when just starting out is to fish with other people. It helped me a lot. Catch a ride with someone else or have an experienced angler go on your boat. It will reduce your learning curve. There are a lot of good people on this board that will be more than willing to help you out. Good Luck!

Welcome boltman,

I'll be up in Frankfort the last week of August if you want to come over one day during the week and go out.

Boats full on the weekends and Friday the 29th, but right now I have space if you want to go out during the week.

I am no pro, but do catch fish. (Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself):eek:

Welcome aboard Boltman. How do you know how deep you are if you dont have a fish finder? Do you have a GPS? Trolling speed is critical.

Paulywood had some GREAT advice on shortning the learning curve. There is a lot of GREAT information already posted on the site.

Dont be afraid to ask and questions.

Mike

I have a Chart Plotter and a Depth sounder, c80 Raymarine that I'm getting a fish finder next year for the c80.....All i can do is estimate how deep the divers are going bye line let out and settings on the divers....Also to tell the truth, I had way to long of a leader behind the flasher, 6 feet is too long, now I know I didin't have it set up right.

Boltman, welcome. Our best rig by far this wear hes been the divers with a flasher/fly combo. From the dippsey use a 6-10' leader to the flasher and a 22" lead to the fly. White/green flasher and a Sigs Mountain Dew fly is killer.

The coyote flasher in this pic has worked wonders but, they are hard to find.

B86G7310.jpg

Ken.