Slider question?

I recently had a discussion regarding sliders, either fixed or free. The question came up that many tournaments limit the slider length to 72" (6 foot). Why?

What is the difference if that slider is 8 foot or even 10 foot. I am stumped as to the reason. Anyone know? Is there an unfair advantage to using a longer leader or did someone "bend a rule" thus the 72" statement in the rules?

Mark

To the best of my knowledgte the reason this rule is in there is because there were guys running 100' sliders which basically becomes another effective line. Since they limit the number of rods in most cases to 8 they felt using the sliders this long actually contsituted and extra rod. Basically you can fix this 100' slider and then hand line the fish in which was not within the spirit of the rules so therefore the length limit. Hope this helps.

Now that makes sense....I never looked at it as 100', I was looking at a length that was a bit more reasonable- 8-10'. Thanks for the info. I figured someone out there must of bent a rule somewhere along the way for this one to have hit the books.

Mark