dive bombs with mono off boards?

Seems like this could be a simple way of covering the top depths without having to rig up a lead core setup. I saw that GLF posted that you can get 30ft with a 4 oz dive bomb on mono. How would you set this up? How much line would you put out before attaching the board? And how far up from the lure would you put the dive bomb?

Typically you will run the Dive Bomb half way between the rod and the bait. When I run 10 colors I let out 5 and then attach. Running straight mono you may have to experiment but if you let out at least 100 feet and attach it half way you should get some significant depth. I have been running them on both leadcore and mono from in line and big boards. Be careful about running different sizes or lengths on the same side of the boat. Heavier Dive Bombs should be the line closest to the boat at all times. Good luck and share your results.

How would you set this up? How much line would you put out before attaching the board? And how far up from the lure would you put the dive bomb?

When I did my testing, I started the counter at the dive bomb and had the rod tip almost touching the water when I was observing the dive bomb bouncing bottom. You will need to have 250' of mono out from the dive bomb to where you attach the board.

I would put the weight at least 30' in front of the spoon. Why 30' instead of something less, like 10'? Anything can happen when the fish is behind the boat. I would not want to try to remove a dive bomb from the line with a fish 10' or less behind the boat.

I have looked at the dive bombs but don't see any reason to use them I have been using snap weights for years with good success and they do the same thing basiclly. Get a copy of Precision Trolling has tons of trolling info on lures and various setups and give ajustments for differant line types and boat speeds. Most of the time I use the 50 50 setup 50ft from lure to weight and 50ft from weight to board but that is my Walleye setup. When fishing for spring Browns I use the snap weights about 30ft in front of the bait and let it out till I get bottom contact then reel in till it just bounces ocassionally seems to work pretty good.

TIGHT LINES

Dive Bombs will get your bait down deeper than the same size snap weight. The next addition of the precission trollers guide should have the dive curves for Dive Bombs. I tested Dive Bomb depths this spring and came up with approxiamate depths. A dive bomb will get you approxiamately 8' per ounce, compared to 4-5' per ounce of a snap weight. This is close to a 2:1 ratio.

Thanks for the depth info I will probably stick with the stuff I allready use thanks to the last few issues of Precission Trolling I am fairly comfortable with my depth control. But I am allways interested in new presentations that probably explains all the differant lures and setups I allready have. I will see if the new Precission Trolling book covers Dive Bombs and may chk a couple out one of these days.

Tight Lines

I want to buy some,gotta aleast try them if they dont work i'll add them to the other stuff that dont work which i have removed from the boat becouse i'm affraid that i would be over our rated weight

where do i get them?