Minnows. When/how/what size to use.

Taken from another board.

How do you rig your minnow when you use it? What size minnow do I need to use ;what size hook and weight . I need your help on fishing with them. Do you use spinners, bottom bouncer, jig head ( size,weight, color). Anything you think might help me. I use plugs all the time (Long A's & Long billed Rebel at night). Is there any DVDs on walleye fishing.

David Tester

David.

The only time and place I use minnows is on the river. I've tried minnow imitators the last couple of seasons while trolling with some success, but the walleye in general like a bigger meal when the waters on the bay are warm. But using real minnows (obviously) when fishing rivers are IMV the best forage imitators. I have successfully rigged them in many ways. I rigged/hooked them through the lips on floating jig heads carolina/egg sinker rig style and simply let them swim freely near bottom in the current behind the sinker. Rigged them behind Lindy rigs. Rigged them on a simple #4 beak hook behind a #7 split shot, quarter casted and let them drift freely downstream in fish holding current areas. My favorite way though is hooking them through the head up-side-down on a jig, then quarter casting and hopping them through productive holding waters. The size minnow I like to use always is about a 2 1/2 to 3 inch emerald shiner. The weight of the jig head or other weights is just enough to keep the minnow anchored or bumping along bottom. Capt. Dan.

IM001231.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I like hooking minnows in that manner as well. Going in the top of the head and out the bottom definitely keeps them on the hook much better.

...and obviously walleyes dont mine the imposed minnow because that one sure took it down to the fuel pump.:cool::lol: