Altenator Question

My boat has twin v-6's. Each engine has a mando 55amp altenator. I would like to upgrade the altenators to 100amps plus. The Mercury part #12449.

What is unique about the mando altenator? What would I have to do to convert to 100amp altenators?

It's spelled different than others... That the biggest difference.

Killer Prices Great Alternators. http://www.boatbandit.com/alternator-2365.aspx

I'm not sure you'll find one much higher than 94. peruse this site. The bolt up configuration has everthing to do with your engine and application by part.

I couldnt find a better price but that was a couple years ago.

Put on a Delco. It will bolt right on. Mine had a Mando also and when it failed there was no question in my mind that I was going to a Delco.:) Of course you may need to change the main charging wire size for the extra amperage. I replaced a 55A Mando with a 63A Delco.

Find a local rebuilder bro and pick their brains on bumping the 2 you have up!!!

2ndly, The Delcos are definitely the way to go on GM 4.3's if you don't have those rebuilt!

I wish I could find a good rebuilder for my shop in E. Lansing vs buying them out and installing remans........

T

I looked into having my Mando alternator rebuilt and the cost was $150. I figured I could rebuild it myself. I started checking around, and the V.R. alone for this off breed cat was $60-$70. I found that a new Delco was far less than rebuilding the Mando. One thing about the Delco a kit for them cost about $20. The Mando I had was overcharging. It would peg my V. meter on helm. I think GLF's alternator is doing the same. I think the V.R. in these alternators tends to be their weakest link. Any way, for me buying a different alternator was the way to go, less hassle and less $$$. :)

Anyone needing a starter or alternator here is a good place to get one.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/

• 1 month later...

I hooked up the muffs to each engine and fired them up today! Almost felt like I was sitting at the dock ready to go fishing. Then I opened my eyes and realized I was still in storage. :(

Anyways....I replaced one of my altenators that was putting out 18v +. When I started the engine with the new alternator.....18v + again. :eek:

When I turn the key on, it registers around 16 volts. Then when I start the engine, it pegs the gauge.

I unhooked the wires to the starter last year because I had to pull the engine to change the engine coupler. Is it possible I dont have something hooked up correctly, and this is what is causing my excessive charging, or did I get a new bad altenator?

Once I resolve this issue, GLF is going in the water!

Here fishy, fishy, fishy.....

check the output at the main output wire with a digital multimeter, may be a bad guage, had almost the same prob last year, alternator was fine, guage was bad

I took my meter to the boat today. This is exactly what the problem is.

I am going in next week.

I read 14.62v when the engine was running.

Frank,

You seem to know your way around at finding cheap parts. Where is a good place to purchase a gauge from? This is a 1987 Sea ray.

eBay:)

This place is in Manistee and has one listed on eBay. It's a NOS (new old stock). AA Marine. $25 includes shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FARIA-BOAT-VOLTMETER-GAUGE-MARINE-GAGE-1980S-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ26444QQihZ023QQitemZ360018584866QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Do a search on eBay I saw some for under $10 including shipping.