vexilar vs. underwater camera

Vexilar all the way. With the vexilar you are viewing the entire water column under the hole. Where as with the camera you can only see what is in front of the camera. The cameras also don't work very well in murky water. I have played around with both of them and own both of them but the camera hardly ever gets used anymore now that I have the vexilar.

Hands down I would choose the lowrance, or a vexlar over a camera any day of the week. The benefit being, that you can pop a million holes real quick to see if anything is down there or not. You can cover a lot more ground with the lowrance. The camera is also nice to have once you are on the fish. Helps to see the fish's reaction to your presentation.

But if I had to have one or the other it would be the vex/lowrance.

• 2 weeks later...
Underwater camera for sure! Its more fun and if there are fish in the area you can see them. When you have light bite fish, like perch in deep water, it helps you see the strike too. The camera can save you a lot of time when on the water locating fish.

Only time I had fun with the under water camera was when I took it in the hot tub at Disney and Minnie mouse was in there with me....:D

i would get sonar first then camera. i spend alot of time perch fishing and the sonar is great when you are hole hopping trying to find fish. plus as said the sonar reads top to bottom and that really helps when you are trying to pull the perch up 10 ft to keep the school active.

you never miss a fish with the camera though. you can see is the perch just has the tails of the tube in it's mouth or has the whole bait. the sonar can't tell you that. i tie wrap my camera so it is pointing down at an angle so i can see more. when i am on fish i use the camera and put away the marcum but if i could only have one it would be my marcum.