How Early?

I was just wondering how early in the year you start fishing the big lake again? Due to some time issues, I have to take my boat out of storage around March 14 and was wondering if it would be worth it to drop the boat in the water or just have them put it on the trailer? It would be in Grand Haven waters. Any thoughts/comments? Thanks.

Bob

That time of year, it can still get below freezing at nights. If it does get dropped in the water to put on the trailer, you may have problems with freezing.

I put mine in the water in April last year. The next day, we got 6" of snow.

I've fished as early as the 1st week of March in previous years. I trailer my boat to where I need it, so it does not stay in the water for extended time. The latest I've ever been out is the 2nd week of April, and that was last year.

Pretty much, you just need to be concerned with the hard freezes. If you're like me and want to fish early in the season, then just keep an eye on the weather. If there's the threat a long, deep freeze, then pull it into the garage or run some antifreeze through it. The overnight dip into the 20s won't hurt it on the trailer when it warms up to above freezing during the day.

my 2cents,

If the boat is in the water it will be protected from the lower units freezing, they freeze the easiest. With that being said, there might still be ice in the marina that early. If you can get it on the trailer without putting it in the water, it might be best to wait a few weeks. Either way, spring fishing is a lot of fun.

Pretty much, you just need to be concerned with the hard freezes.

Best quote I've seen yet.

For us trailerable I/O guys, Ice out baby, spring browns, hug the shores with those boards and throw a drop light in the bilge, in the weird case scenario that if tries to "hard" freeze!!!!

I usually watch for a week straight of comparable lows.

7 days with lows no lower then XX whatever number you feel comfortable with........

.02 more!