Fuse Block for wiring a boat?

Paulywood

I currently have all of my electronics wired directly to my battery. I want to add a fuse block to wire everything into. I am also adding more electronics. I will have 2 electric riggers, a Depth Raider, a GPS Plotter, a Fish Finder, and a radio. These are the 2 that I have found so far:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97360_200003004_200000000_200003000_200-3-4

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=MIVKA5YJJMK4PLAQBBISCO3MCAEFEIWE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21310&id=0019040011915a&navCount=3&podId=0019040&parentId=cat21310&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21310&hasJS=true&_requestid=11185

I think that I like the one from BassPro better. Anyone have experience with either of these? Or any other ideas on what you use. Thanks in advance.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Paulywood,

I just re-wired my Islander last weekend using the distribution panel that you show from West Marine. I used the 12 gang unit for future expansion. I also used Anchor brand lug connectors with the Shrink Tube insulators. Made for a real neat and professional looking wiring job. Now all the fuses are in one location for ease in trouble shooting.

Hey guys

There is nothing wrong with either of the fuse blocks you are looking at. I do want to make one suggestion though being that I am an electrician and have been for over 20 years now. Fuses can be a pain especially when you dont have one. Look for the same thing only with circut breakers as that is what most boats are comming with now. They do make breakers that work for electronics. otherwise just make sure you have spare fuses just incase ther is a problem. You can still independently supply shortcircut protection and with a circutbreaker. Once again there is nother wrong with a fuse block just making a suggestion.

I actually got the block from West Marine. It will be installed by the end of the week. I'm going to pick up my riggers tomorrow morning. I decided to wire the riggers directly to the battery and run everything else through the block. I always keep spare fuses in both my truck and boat. I should have everything ready in 2 weeks, probably won't fish until the last week in April or first of May.