Dodgers

I have just finished reading (Keating on Kings). This was a very good read, with tons of information. I couldn't help but notice that Five of his top ten Dodgers or Flashers and Fly combos involved the Luhr Jensen Dodger. That's right, Five out of Ten. I slow down and run a Dodger once in awhile, but have drifted more towards the plastic flashers. Before the plastic flashers we used to slow down and run a couple of Dodger Squid, Dodger Fly combos in our spread with great success. If I'm on fish, I wouldn't mind slowing down and running a dodger. Even at slow speeds the dodgers do roll once in awhile. When searching I like to run faster and cover more water. I have read in some forum, where the front of the Dodger can be bent to keep them from spinning out at higher salmon speeds, thus keeping the same swaying dodger motion. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with bending the dodgers to make them more speed tolerant? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

DSCN1185.JPG

I just ran across this Wolverine Flodger. It's supposed to be a cross between a flasher and a Dodger. When reading the fine tuning instructions, it said that the middle section must remain flat. This Flodger looks just like a Dodger with the ends bent sharply in the direction of the cup.

The point of this thread is NOT to make you run out and buy Dodgers or Flodgers. Every year there is a ton of new products to attract fisherman, and fish. I have a quite a few Dodgers that seldom get washed because of their inability to run decent at much over 2 MPH. What I intend to do is try bending some of my Dodgers to resemble the Flodger. If I can utilize my Dodgers @ higher Salmon speeds, I'll have them in my spread and see what happens. The recommended leader length is 16 - 22 inches behind a 8 inch Flodger. The manufacturer states that these will run at slooooooow L.T. speeds or fast Salmon speeds. The next trip out, I'll drag a few modified Dodgers and see how they handle the different speeds. I may super glow one side of some of my older beat up dodgers over the Winter. I was going to buy a few more spinnies but I think I'll try and utilize what I have.

I hope this information helps some of you.:)

Frank, I too recently finished the book Keeting on Kings. I found it very informative and helpful. I have passed it on to the rest of my crew. They are very excited about fishing for salmon next year, and have some idea about what we are doing!

Frank,

I also just finished Keating's book and am very excited about putting the information to use next Spring. I just purchased a couple of 8" spin doctors and am looking forward to using them in my spread. So the luhr jensens only work at slow speeds apparently. How about the spin doctors?

One of the other interesting things in the book was the division of lures efficacy by color AND depth. I would be interested in people placing their favorites from last year in categories of depths. So, tangerine stinger at 30 and less, blue bubble spin doctor with a siggs rigs oceana from 30-60, etc.

Tight lines to all

I have run Spin Doctors and Fish Catchers up to 3.5 MPH.

Dodgers have a side to side swaying motion at around 1.5 to 2.2 MPH. Dodgers will spin out at any speeds much above 2 MPH.. We run slow with dodgers in the past and did well with them.The stock dodger can be a good tool if you want to run slow for L.T. to fill a tournament ticket. Salmon will slam them also. What I'm attempting to do is, tweak the dodgers to run decent at 2.5 MPH and above. :)