Moon Light Walleyes.

Can some of you guys who've fished a while help me determine if fishing through the night on a pitch black new moon stands a chance at being productive?

I experience decent success when there's some level of moonlight but this weekend would be the first time I actually intend to fish through the night while it's pitch black out.

If y'all believe such a night wouldn't likely be all that great, then I may shift to a daytime approach.

Andy Comstock

Andy.

If the moon isn't out but the spot your going to fish has any kind of artificial light in the area, even if it's shore light from a distance, you may be in business. Now combine that with good water clarity and you chances get even better. If the conditions are on the dark-side you might want to try some Glow Lures. When my usual spots using common lures near artificial light sources don't pay off, or fishing pressure from shore has moved them out away from the light, I'll concentrate on places further out of the light with glow offerings like the Gander Mountain #9 Shad Rap special in the picture. Capt. Dan.

IM001212.sized.jpg

I've logged over 65 night time trips on Muskegon lake and, the biggest factor in how active the fish are is the weather. When high pressure is around we do not do well. Dark nights can be very good. I've found the darker lures to work better when it's moon free. Like the Tenn. shad, or Purple Sunfire. (Huskee Jerks)

It's not uncommon to find the fish in water thats a bit shallower than normal.

Ken.

Last Saturday on the Saginaw, the water clarity was about 9 inches and the walleyes were nowhere to be found. Tonight the clarity was 4 feet, no clouds, clear skies, hardly any current and cold. I caught 6 decent walleyes and kept 3 for the table. They may act a little different in river systems versus Lakes.

IM001544.jpg

IM001543.jpg