What do you do just in case your boat fails

Some of us might not know what to do just in case your boat happens to fail on any of the great lakes. Normally I make sure I have another buddy go the sametime as I do when I go fishing just in case him or I have boat problems or I check on the web site to see if anyone like to gang up on some fish so you have help just in case to. Well what if you don't have help and you don't know anyone out there to help you out, then what do you do. I have not had this problem yet and don't want to. But do you try and call the coast gaurd for help and on what channel and what do you say when you call them. I was told the coast guard will not tow no more unless you have a crew or your self is really stressed out and paniking.

Help me Mayday Mayday,

Caznik

Rich,

The coasties will tow. That is a myth for some reason.

If you run into trouble and you cannot get a helpful person on the water to give you a hand then you turn your radio to channel 16 and radio for the coast guard. DO NOT USE MAYDAY however unless it is an emergency such as a physical issue (heart attack, women giving birth, or boat sinking or on fire).

The Coast guard will most likely come out to assist. But they may at that point call for a professional marine tow service. I know Muskegon Lake has one or two and I'm sure Grand Haven has a couple.

But the coast guard capt will make the call on whether to tow you to the nearest port or to turn you over. Most of the time they turn you over to the tow service and it may cost you a few bucks.

I'm not sure where this rumor got started that the coast guard will not assist in a stalled condition.

Rich, I fish a lot with only my boat and was a little nervous about the same thing. This spring I blew an engine coupler (thank God it was at the dock) when coming back in from off the lake. I now have a policy with TowBoatUS. I was very surprised at how resonable it is. Mine covers unlimited towing, trailer problems on the road, soft ungroundings, fuel drop on the water for a cost of $150.00 (there are cheaper packages) a year and they will run a 20 square mile radius. They have several ports from Benton Harbor to Whitehall. Go on line and check out there web site. Hope this helps.