Question for seasoned Charter capts.

1. Registration of boat.

Regular or do you have a "commercial registration"?

2.Operator's license

Capt. license the same thing? DNR sent me a packet and it contains an application for an operators license for vessels to carry passengers for hire.

I called the local DNR office but there is no one in to answer questions other than the woman answering the phone and she doesn't answer questions.:rolleyes:

This is my first inspection and would like to get everytrhing taken care of while I got the time.(next couple of weeks)

Capt.Mike,

Yes your registration will be listed.......use: comm/freight

Your U.S. Merchant Marine covers passenger for hire (someone correct me please if I'm wrong?) Are they just requesting your U.S.M.M.O. #?

You will also need a sport trolling license. That is a catch 22. You cannot obtain it without a passing inspection and you can't pass the inspection without the sport trolling license. I would contact a local DNR office to expidite the Sport trolling Lisence in advance. Just let them know of your issue.

You will also need to have a copy of your insurance policy. (not a binder).

You can also call the DNR regional facility nearest you and ask to speak with someone in the law enforcement division for more specifics.

Capt.Mike,

Yes your registration will be listed.......use: comm/freight

Your U.S. Merchant Marine covers passenger for hire (someone correct me please if I'm wrong?) Are they just requesting your U.S.M.M.O. #?

You will also need a sport trolling license. That is a catch 22. You cannot obtain it without a passing inspection and you can't pass the inspection without the sport trolling license. I would contact a local DNR office to expidite the Sport trolling Lisence in advance. Just let them know of your issue.

You will also need to have a copy of your insurance policy. (not a binder).

You can also call the DNR regional facility nearest you and ask to speak with someone in the law enforcement division for more specifics.

Sport license is for lake trout which where I am there is none.(Lk. St. Clair, Detroit river and the St. Clair river).

The lady at the DNR sent me a packet that contained an application for an Operators License. Which I'm sure my Capt. license takes care of.

I tried calling Lansing (517-335-3414) last week and no return call as of yet and my regional DNR office, to no avail. Lady at the DNR office said no one is there(ever) to answer questions. I have a few other explanations I need, so how the hell do I asked someone if nobody is there.:confused: I realize they are short staffed but give me a break. The lady at the DNR also need to brush up on her people skills. Very bad tone to her voice.

S of St. told me if I register it Comm/frieght, I can't use it for my pleasure. And yet I talked to a fellow Capt. and his is registered just like a normal boat.

All the check list says (for inspection) is a current registration.

Wish they would spell things out so as not to confuse. But I guess they want to confuse you at every turn (government)

• 2 weeks later...