Holland Evening of 8/3, 6 for 6

Strategizing about the lines to run this evening – decided to run a throw-back all rigger spread as warm water was 75’ down at the Port Sheldon buoy and the heavy SW 1-2' chop and occasional 3' group of rollers would render dipseys meaningless.  Fin Warrior has 4 riggers, the aft riggers would be run low and the side riggers with paddles and something on the business end.  Question would be where to start since I could only put 3 down fishing solo.  Opted for 2 aft and 1 side rigger spread.  Dropped down in 130 FOW at 5:00pm off the sliders and headed north.  Alewife and Mongolian beef spoons went down deep and a green paddle/green fly out to the side.  Nothing happening.  Swapped out the spoons for UV blue jeans & UV green jeans and a blue paddle/blue fly out to the other side.  Nothing happening.  Changed course to west to get out to my favorite depth for these times, 170FOW.  I was the only boat out that deep so it was great.  Swapped UV green jeans for UV green dolphin – the latter was a mag spoon and had killed it down deep on SWR several years back.  In 172 FOW trolling north, after 90min into the evening, on a deep rigger, the UV mag blue jeans on a 12lb test line got bit, producing to my surprise, a coho.  Next, on the other deep rigger, the UV green dolphin down 105 produced another surprise, a steelhead.  OK some fish are biting the low lines so I put down a blue/silver paddle, blue/silver meat rig in place of the dodger fly on the upper outer rigger to improve the interest.  Unfortunately, no further action.  It was about 7:30 and the storm was coming in so I decided to vector NE into shallower water for the evening bite.  About 45min after the last strike, in 152 FOW, the meat rig produced a coho.  The line on the bait head got twisted to snot, so I gave that up, grabbed the other rod at the ready and put a paddle and Lucky Charm Brads Cut Plug down without any tuna – just got it in the water in a hurry.  Made another course change to SE to head back to port.  About 20min later, the light line with the UV blue jeans produced a small king.  I tried to release it but doubt it made it.  Skies were getting dark at this point so I did not put the light line back down and ripped the Brad’s cut plug.  A good eater coho was on the business end well hooked so I kept it.  Down to one line left in the water, SWR.  I am putting the balls away staring at this rod and bang, it goes off.  The joy of fishing on when pulling lines.  It was a king, about 6lbs or more.  I worked hard to shake it off at the back of the boat and to my surprise, I was successful.  So, 1 for 2 on catch and release for the day.  All lines were up and I headed in to beat the storm.  I have not caught a coho all year and caught 3 on this trip.  All the fish had adipose fins.  I did not find big fish but am very happy with the coho catch.  No reports on 68 - Big Red coming this weekend.  Data below.

# Time Fish FOW Latitude Troll Rod Bait Depth Bait
1 6:30PM Coho (N) 172 42o47.900' N DR - 12lb test 102B UV mag Blue Jeans
2 6:55PM Steelhead 8lb (N) 170 42o48.890' N DR - SWR 105B UV mag Green Dolphin
3 7:42PM Coho (N) 152 42o50.950' NE DR 95B Blue Silver meat head
4 8:04PM King (N) 5lb 128 42o51.075' SE DR - 12lb test 106B UV mag Blue Jeans
5 8:15PM Coho (N) 114 42o50.718' SE DR 95B Brads Cut Plug - Lucky Charm
6 8:18PM King (N) 6lb 104 ? SE DR - SWR 108B UV mag Green Dolphin

• Like 4