Cut Bait.

Has anyone tried the Gulp Cut bait? I got a few cut bait rigs with my boat. I have tried Salmon bellies, and some herring with limited success. If the Gulp works it may be easier to keep than the herring strips. I only ran 1 cut bait set up a few times last yr. My glow stuff was so hot I kind of forgot about it. Any tips would be appreciated.:)

I've used the Berkley cut bait strips last year with decent mid-day success. When compared to herring strips, I'd rate them close to equal after 1 season of limitted use. Mid-day is all I really used them last year, but that will change this season.

I'm not going to give up using Herring yet, but I'm going to do a little more with the Berkley strips. The herring are easier to rig a wounded fish action and roll than the strips. Although, the scent from the strips does penetrate my human nose more readily than the herring. Packaged cut bait rigs seem to accept the herring easier than the leathery strips, but the strips sure seem to last a while.

A gentleman at D&R sports has given me some advice over the past few seasons. He did recomend I try the cut bait strips. He also said to run them in the morning amid my glows claiming that they won't neccessarily get alot of hits, but they will help the productivity of your spread overall. I plan to give it a try, possibly as a down the chute line.

I'd be very interested in other takes on the strips.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to see better success from the Gulp last year, I didn't see much success using the strips in herring heads. I'll put more work into it this year. May have to cut them in a fish shape and work on better spin. I still have been impressed with putting a Storm rattling minnow in the Rys Davis head and running a 11" Bech. in front of it. Still my best alternative to artificial cut bait. But you still can't beat the real stuff to light up the bigger fish.

But you still can't beat the real stuff to light up the bigger fish.

I agree with you 100% I love cut bait. I use kingfisher II and 11 inch hoochies with a teaser rig with good results. Even if the fish don't like it, it still brings them into the spread.