Ludington Net Pens

The Net Pens are In! Thanks to a collaborative effort between Ludington Charter Boat Association, Great Lakes Salmon Initiative, and MDNR (Jay Wesley, Mark Tonello, Paul Stowe). We are experimenting with net penning and coho plant of 50,000 fish at the Ludington State Park. Special thanks for the physical effort on Wednesday of Micah, Shawn, Shane, Richard, George, Scott & Cory (from Captain Chucks ll ), Lauren, Steve, Brian, and several others from Dreamweaver and Consumers Power Company (I apologize if I missed a name)

The king plants have not shown good returns in the Sable the last few years, probably due to the predator pit of lake trout stacked up in 40 ft of water when the smolts are moving out. Kings smolts stay in close for a while when entering the great Lakes. We (GLSI) advocated for trying coho this year and the MDNR agreed. It will be interesting fishing off the point in Aug and Sept in a few years. Hoping for a solid coho return. They head offshore after smolting so there may be better survival.

FB_IMG_1490296678184.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 2

I'm sure glad to see that as surf casting for kings there has been all but none existent. Would help if they would get rid of the gulls and cormorants that gobble them up as they porpoise out to the lake. 

PS--Poor King return also is do to very reduced plants