Fuel/Gas Mileage

Its hard to determine the fuel mileage of a boat, when you run, troll, then run back in. With a GPS, you can get an idea of the mileage for the day, but it is inaccurate when you figure you trolled for X amount of hours. At what RPM are you getting your best mileage? Notice I did not say mpg.

Mike, you got a helluva boat, now spend some more money on a Flocscan or Navman fuel use guage, mine paid for itself more than once, along with a GPS you can find the most efficient cruising speed, I try to run about 2900 rpms, only lost 4 mph from 3100, BUT, I use 6.0 less gph. At 2900 I burn 11 GPH at a bit over 25 mph, Thats better than 2 mpg, and Im not bitchin about that with a a big block and 7000 lbs of boat, these numbers may be off a few tenths as Im old and am relying on memory, or lack thereof

My 22 foot Islander is light, and I only have a 140 HP 4 cyl Mercruiser. Most fishing trips I average about 1 to 1-1/2 gal per hr. If I limit fast the GPH rate goes up because the ratio of run time to trolling time. I never run wide out unless I have to. I get it on plane and pull the throttle back to just maintain it. I spend a lot more time trolling, than I do running. I spend a lot of time making sure everything is in top running condition.