Hey Big Jon... a few questions.

So I purchased a new motor (same motor as the riggers I believe?) for my Big Jon dual planer board mast a few years back in the tune of $125.  Since then, for some reason the motor stopped working and I wanted to know why.  So in my off fishing time I dis-mounted my planer board mast and brought it home to investigate.  I began with the disassembly of the motors.  On one motor which is at least five years old there were some signs of rust internally and on a motor that I bought a few years back it was a complete rust bucket and destroyed (see pictures attached), off the junk with that $125.  

So here's what I don't understand, why is it that Big Jon doesn't go to greater lengths to seal their motors?  I run Scotty riggers, have had them for over 8 years and no issues what so ever.  I'm not promoting any products, but hoping to make people aware before investing.  Is there a reason Big Jon tells you to dispose of the motor and buy new in the event there is a failure?  Are they hoping no one will dig into their product to find that there is an issue with the sealing?  I'm not the only that has run into this issue as a simple online search will expose.  I've heard they'll offer replacements, but for how long?  And I really don't want to go through efforts of disassembly of the mast every time the motor goes bad.

If you're lucky enough upon opening a Big Jon motor and not having too much rust, you can buy replacement brushes at your local hardware store for around $9.  Upon re-assembly I'd suggest an exterior silicone (rtv), or maybe Permatex around all joints.  Additionally I will be coating my motors with Plastic Dip spray.

Again, I'm not trying to bash a company (please look at it as constructive criticism), but rather make others aware of potential issues so they can make an educated purchase.  This stuff isn't cheap so I expect decent quality from any company.  On a positive note, when the motors are working, I really like the dual planer board mast.

20160728_195528.jpg

20160728_195510.jpg