Identification Help

Even though I've been dragging lures since I was a kid, I admit, there are times I have caught a fish and have not been 100% sure of what I caught. Inland lake species are fairly easy with exception to Northerns and Musky's but Lake Michigan in itself is anopther story. Looking at the DNR manual isn't a flawless source either. They are artistic renditions. Is there a digital photo source that anyone knows of? Could this be a worthy project for the Great Lakes Fisherman pro's?

take six

I dont know of any really good photo shots. but rather would focus my efforts on genetic distinctions, physical characteristics. such as the differeces in the color of the mouth of a king vrs a coho. or the distinct color marking of an atlantic or even right down to the differences of the shape of fins tails etc.

being that my family on my fathers side is from oregon. I found that these distinctions are described very well by oregon fish and game. Im sure you could get a copy online.

wish i could help more.

Mark

I know what you mean. Years ago back in the early 80s we boated an atlantic on my dads boat and we thought it was a coho as well. come to find out that the only way to tell is by looking at the color of the moulth of the fish and the shape of the tail. My Dad, Who is very good at telling these distinctions, thought it was an atlantic, however they are so close to being identical, it leaves doubt in your mind. We to confirmed that at the marina at the fish cleaning station when a michingan Department of natural resources officer checked our catch as they often did at the fish cleaning station at whispering willows marina in st.joe which is now long gone.