Backdoor Bay Walleyes. 2-17-07

I knew something was up this morning when we neared the end of Ericson Road and there was just as much traffic leaving the Bay as there was coming towards it. We pulled onto the ice and stopped a guy heading back to his truck. "Bad out there" I asked. "Yup" crack is about 3 feet wide open and the places some of those guys are crossing is nothing more than floating ice between the cracks. Having a client this morning, I wasn't into playing leap frog over open water while pulling both a dog sled and shanty behind my 4 wheeler. At that point we decided to head out from Linwood Road. I had a spot marked in 21 FOW and getting to that spot was way easier. We fished there for about an hour and I had this nagging gut feeling I could head way out and cut back around to my favorite spot in the Black Hole. I punched it in on the GPS and it was another 2.86 miles north from where we were. There were very few if any others I could see set up between us and where I wanted to go. But I thought if we take it slow and be careful we could get there. Long story short I made the Big Loop and we set back up by 10:30 on this spot, all by ourselves in the deepest part of the Black Hole, 26 feet on the FL-8. There were fish in the hole immediately. We limited out by 3:00pm, lost many others and C&R'd 8 others before we called her quits at 4:30. Another bad day saved.

IM001316.sized.jpg

IM001317.sized.jpg

IM001319.sized.jpg