Saginaw Bay Tragidy.

I'm very sorry to report that with both this strange winter, along with how the Saginaw Bay has froze over this year, has claimed it's first victim. The strong off-shore winds we've continually had is the most dangerous culprit. And it's one of the main reasons I have not ventured out myself dispite reports of thick ice.

Rescuers recover body of missing snowmobiler. Witness reports seeing emergency flare early this morning.

By Jeff Piechowski

BAY COUNTY (WJRT) - (02/08/07)-- The Coast Guard has found the body of a missing snowmobiler who was last seen Wednesday night.

Shortly after midnight this morning, a caller reported spotting an emergency flare on the bay, northeast of Linwood in Bay County.

A Coast Guard search crew found a vehicle and empty snowmobile trailer parked on the ice near Erickson Road. Two fishermen say they helped a man unload gear from his truck and trailer yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon at the location.

The two returned to shore about 6:30 last night, saying that they had seen open water. Authorities spoke with them this morning.

"They came and asked us where we seen (sic) the guy last night, and we told 'em, and we told 'em where the open water was. And that's where they're at right now," said Charlie Horen.

"It's scary out there. You gotta be careful," said Luke Maylin. "There's open water, jagged ice, clear ice, everything kinda blends together. You gotta watch where you're going.

The search had centered on an area about one-half mile offshore and about four miles north of Linwood.

The body of the missing man was found Thursday afternoon floating in that same open water. Only a ice scoop and glove were visible on the ice near the open water where they pulled the body out.

His identity has not been released.

For those of us very familiar with the Bay, we know that there has always been a spot NE of Linwood road that simply stays either open or very thin during the most severe winters. The nature of the bottom near and along the Nayonquin Point area north of Linwood road, keeps it that way because of the shallow shoals, ledges and bars that force the water to roll upward, keeping any ice from forming and whatever ice that does, to continually work back and forth or stack up around these bottom contours. And with the Bays natural counter clockwise flow, along with any high winds magnifying this effect, its a natural and continual force. It's part of the same flow force that keeps ice broken up between Parish road and Bresettes Beach. It's no different then keeping your hose running during a freeze. As long as it's moving it won't ever freeze.

I don't know for sure. But I partially blame this tragedy on the mans lac of knowledge of the area, and/or the possible lac and knowledgeable use of a hand Held GPS. This small investment and the easy training involved to use one, can indeed save your life. Whenever I go out with clients or by myself, I plot my course. I lay down waypoint numbers in numbered order, every step of the way to where I fish. Every time I encounter a crack, or the trail takes a turn, or I go in a different direction, that spot becomes a waypoint I return to when coming back in. I may have to go 1 mile out of my way going back in at night from where I end up, but I travel exactly on what was the safe trail I made going out. For Gods sake everyone, buy and use one or travel with others for safety.

I don't know for sure. But I partially blame this tragedy on the mans lac of knowledge of the area.

This is why most snowmobile accidents happen i.e. beheadings on fence wires of farms, guide lines for electrical poles, etc etc etc.

T

Missing snowmobiler's body found

Coast Guard searched for nearly 10 hours

By Jeff Piechowski

BAY COUNTY (WJRT) - (02/08/07)--After hours of searching on the Saginaw Bay for a missing snowmobiler, the Coast Guard has found the body of a Saginaw County man.

Wednesday night, the Coast Guard received a call regarding a flare being spotted on the bay northeast of Linwood in Bay County.

A Coast Guard search crew located a vehicle and empty snowmobile trailer parked on the ice near Erickson Road.

A HH-65 Dolphin from Air Station Detroit and a 20-foot ice-capable boat from Station Saginaw River were deployed.

Thursday afternoon, crews found the body of Peter Ries.

Ries, a former resident of Lansing, was transferred to Bay County Medical Services and was pronounced deceased by local EMS.

Authorities say they didn't find any of Ries' fishing equipment or his snowmobile, which will make it difficult to determine what happened on the bay

mssnmobiler200.jpg

• 6 years later...

I just wanted to bump this post back to the top, even though it is 7 years old, so others could see it as a warning about being careful. I know this year is much colder than usual and the ice is probably thicker, but I'd hate to see another person lose a life. The man mentioned here who died out on the bay was my dad, and we really miss him. Just hate for this to happen to someone else.