Down Rigger Placement

I am looking for any ideas for mounting my Cannon Mag 10 Electric Downriggers. I have a 1760 Ranger (pictures below) I have the Swivel Mounts as well as the 6 inch Traxtech mounting runner plates as well as the Traxtech 3 inch Riser Bases. One thing I keep struggling with is the back end of the boat is slightly beveled down towards the back of the boat and isn’t flush. Any ideas or photos of your Down Rigger mounting placement would be appreciated. I know the pics aren't ideal.

post-6286-14498787981407_thumb.jpg

How about putting the tracks on the rear deck in the back corners? The Traxstech risers should get the booms above the gunnels if the booms are long enough. Might be a pain to use that far back though.

Traxstech also has rail mounts for the tracks and I know they would be good for rod holders, but I'm not so sure about a downrigger. I would contact Jeff at Traxstech to see what he recommends.

Have the same problem with my Larson FX 2020 DC as the gunnels are curved.

Had planed on using one 6 foot Trax track on each side, and that would have taken care of rod holders and down rigger mounts, but between the curve and uneven underside of the gunnel, I'm going with two tracks on each side.

One shorter one for the rod holders that are located to the right or left of the drivers/passengers seats and a longer one for the rest of the rod holders and rigger mounts.

I'm going to use a spacer to make up the gap in the gunnel in the rear track, it's a bit of a pain but seems the best way to do it.

Just starting to mount them so we'll see how this goes.

Al

thanks guys. I am not sure exactly what to do. I don't want them too far back because that would just be a pain to work with constantly bending over and close to the water (don't want to fall in). I don't know how a rail mount would be on this boat i would be interested to see what that looks like and to be honest that is a pretty non-intrusive way to get the riggers set up. Still thinking on it.

thanks guys. I am not sure exactly what to do. I don't want them too far back because that would just be a pain to work with constantly bending over and close to the water (don't want to fall in). I don't know how a rail mount would be on this boat i would be interested to see what that looks like and to be honest that is a pretty non-intrusive way to get the riggers set up. Still thinking on it.

I will get over to my buddy's house tonight and take a few pics. His setup is from traxtech. He lives right down the road, so it'll give me a reason to bs with him.

Mount two six inch tracks on either side. construct a removable trolling board that will slide into the tracks. The plates into the track will be pitched with risers so that the board is level. Mount the downriggers over the short risers. Now you also have the abillity to ad rod holders on the board for a shoot rod and others. I have five rod holders on my board.

Your not that far from me, if you want to see how I'm installing mine, your welcome to come look.

I live just off of crosstown (62) and 34 ave so.

Al

Bert's Tackle has an 8' trolling board that is mounted with two risers (one on each side). They are about 6-8" high and should clear your gunwales. I have one and use four Cannon Mag 10 STXs on it and have had no problems. I believe it is compatible with Traxtech...

I have a 2050 reata with Scotty riggers and the previous owner to the boat ran cannons. He just mounted them with a gimble mount. I'll run out and take a cpl pics. I've used them a few times and love the idea of not having a track or other mounts sticking up and left on the boat. I'll get a few pics and post soon.

• 1 month later...