battery question

im in the process of repowering my 24' regal, was thinking of running 3 big optimas but i notice most folks on here seem to be talking about 2 batteries. i eventually plan on running all avaliable toys i.e. 4 downriggers, auto pilot, radar,spreaders etc. etc. as always any thought appreciated.

well I could copy and paste my post on batteries from the GLA site or you could go read it. Perhaps reading it in context with the questions would make more sense. I almost never recommend AGM batteries because they don't last but on the other hand most people don't take good care of batteries so none last for them. Batteries are a part of a system to work and last they require regular maintenance and they need to be suited to the job you use them for. Most of the batteries in boats are AGM dual purpose batteries which if you want a put it in and ignore it battery will last you a couple years or more if you have a good charging system. And don't abuse it too bad. There are several factors in getting the right battery for you.

I have done just fine running 2 batteries for many yrs. I just use a perco switch to switch from #1 battery to #2 battery or both. when im trolling I leave the switch on both. I run my df/gps and my radio and my marine radio and my downriggers and have never had a problem. if im drifting or anchored I use my house battery #1 and then when I start my motor I just switch to my #2 battery and start my motor and then I switch back to both batteries to charge the low battery.

I used the optima batteries in my boat for about 5 yrs before having any trouble. but I found that wall mart batteries work just as good and are a lot cheaper. but you do have to service them.

sherman