Using Pedestal Seat Base for Accessories

I fish from a side console modified V. I was thinking of ways that I could install a light or multiple lights overhead so I have more than just a headlamp while fishing in the dark.

One idea I had was to use the base plate on the front deck where my swivel seat attaches. Has anyone ever done any custom fabricating to make long poles for lights or anything of that sort that would attach to the plate on the floor that the seat attaches to?

Or any other ideas short of installing a radar arch :grin:

Thanks for the idea KJ. If I don't come up with any other options maybe I'll have to go that route. I'm going to tinker in the garage and see if I can't come up with something homemade. I was hoping there would be some people that have tried this before.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a seat mount on the tip of my 18ft Lowe. I put a seat pedestal in it, and removed the plastic seat bushing, then I inserted a 6ft chain link fence top rail. It fits perfectly in the seat pedestal. I mounted some LED lights and I used it as my mast for my planer boards. All for less than $100 bucks. Yes, it looks a little tacky, but it worked for my budget at the time. This photo was taken before I mounted it to the very front of the boat. The light extension was a little flimsy, so I later removed the overhanging supports, and I just mounted the lights to the pole.

post-3993-14498787805488_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine had built one for his old boat ( sorry no pics ). What he did was remove the seat from the metal base plate. He then attached a piece of 1/2 plywood about a foot square.Next attached some trim wood around the perimeter to create a box effect.(used as a work station/next baits to go out/pliers etc.) In the center he had a coupling that he would out in a piece of 1 1/2 inch pvc with a t on top that held a pair if lights when he needed them. Just had a wire with a plug for the 12V accessory outlet on the dash. He also had 10 or 12 pole holders around the outside of this as well. He used pvc again keeping the top flush with the trim wood.He had one screw that went thru the trim into the plywood and then used an angle bracket underneath to support the pvc down the tube a little. Looked a little clumsy when loaded but worked really well.