Daylight/Dark ratio or Temps

Water temps certainly are a huge factor when it comes to fishing. Over the last several years I'm more inclined to think that the time of year, or more precise the daylight to dark ratio has more to do with the fish and animal activities than temperature. Again temperature certainly has its role but the calendar seems to be the overriding factor. Everything in nature like the buck rut, fish spawning runs, etc. seem to always coincide with certain dates give or take a few days. Human behavior is less dependent on the calendar as we go about life in our climate controlled environment. But even humans to a lesser degree respond somewhat differently when the seasons start to change. Go back in time a few hundred years and humans were affected dramatically by the seasons. What are your thoughts on fish, animal, and human behavior, as they relate to the seasons or to temperature.

Frank, I have thought along the same lines as well over the past few years. I concluded that temps and such have little impact in comparison to the time of year, and the factors that change, as you mention daylight to dark. Some kind of "internal" clock or something triggers fish to do what they do. Now I'm not saying temps have ZERO impact, but I do think there is not as much impact due to temps as I previously believed.

Frank, I agree with you 100% I used to raise fish in my aquariums (Koi mostly) and when it came time to breed them, I adjusted their light to coincide with the amount of daylight during their typical spawn calendar period. And low and behold, they spawned during that time only when the duration of light was right.